goofy wiring

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
mo

goofy wiring

Post by mo »

Hi! Super happy to find you all! My bug and i are having electrical issues.
I found her a year ago and have been learning to work with her since. I've been told she is wired goofy. She was converted to 12 volt before we met, i have replaced her battery, starter, alternator,flywheel,clutch etc., fuel line, and right rear brake cylinder and drum. She can't hold a charge longer than a couple days... there's a little relay box mounted to to the top right of the fan shroud... not sure why. She has no red or green or green warning lites, minimal dash lites and is stuck on hi beams. When she starts to loose power the stereo goes out first, i pull over quick and hook up a jump wire from the alt. to the grn wire in the relay box, if i'm quick enough... the stereo blinks back on and we're good to go! The green wire comes out of the top middle of the alternator to the relay box. Can anyone help us? I've printed out some wiring schematics and I'm trying to match things.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Mo, and welcome to the forum. There is a wiring diagram on the main site that may help but it sounds like you have your own already. I won't be much help since mine is still a 6 volt, but it sounds like whoever did the conversion to 12 volt may have mucked things up for you. I'm sure someone on the forum may have some advice for you! Good luck! John
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Aside from the voltage, 6 volt and 12 volt electrical systems are virtually identical, with the same fixes applying to both.

Mo, unfortunately from what you describe, your problems are beyond the scope of a simple explanation in this forum. Best of luck in shaking out the gremlins.