question about front blinker position on my 66...help!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

VeeDubCoyote

question about front blinker position on my 66...help!

Post by VeeDubCoyote »

I've got some relatively odd-positioned blinker lights in the front. I was wondering, if anyone could tell me, the procedure to move the blinkers from the front bumper to the top of the fenders?? is what i'm talking about even possible on my car? here's a pic of the front of my car so you guys can see what i'm talking about:

sorry for bein a newb but i guess i'm curious!
thanks guys!
Attachments
bug3.jpg
bug3.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
volksbugusa

Re: question about front blinker position on my 66...help!

Post by volksbugusa »

VeeDubCoyote wrote:I've got some relatively odd-positioned blinker lights in the front. I was wondering, if anyone could tell me, the procedure to move the blinkers from the front bumper to the top of the fenders?? is what i'm talking about even possible on my car? here's a pic of the front of my car so you guys can see what i'm talking about:

sorry for bein a newb but i guess i'm curious!
thanks guys!
wow
very nice bug you have there.is the set of turn blinkers inside the headlight housing or the small bumper square stand offs?
But anyway YES you can find a set of "used in good condition" set of turn signal units on THE SAMBA. The holes are already there to poke the wires thru the front arpon. just drill holes in the top of the fenders and install the wires and fixtures...when drilling go easy ,,take your time and measure both sides to make sure everything is even. do you have a wiring diagram? would you like one for your 66....dont forget to make sure there is rubber grommets when poking wires thru the apron...
best place to buy these little parts is
-wolfsburg west
-bughause
-veedub
-cip1 there ok last choice always try to buy german parts
stay away from
-obsolete parts
-jc whitney
if you have any other questions
email me at
volksbugusa@optonline.net will give you my phone number to discuss in more depth....
VeeDubCoyote

Re: question about front blinker position on my 66...help!

Post by VeeDubCoyote »

volksbugusa wrote: wow
very nice bug you have there.is the set of turn blinkers inside the headlight housing or the small bumper square stand offs?
But anyway YES you can find a set of "used in good condition" set of turn signal units on THE SAMBA. The holes are already there to poke the wires thru the front arpon. just drill holes in the top of the fenders and install the wires and fixtures...when drilling go easy ,,take your time and measure both sides to make sure everything is even. do you have a wiring diagram? would you like one for your 66....dont forget to make sure there is rubber grommets when poking wires thru the apron...
best place to buy these little parts is
-wolfsburg west
-bughause
-veedub
-cip1 there ok last choice always try to buy german parts
stay away from
-obsolete parts
-jc whitney
if you have any other questions
email me at
volksbugusa@optonline.net will give you my phone number to discuss in more depth....
the current blinkers are the little square standoffs on the bumper... that's why i want something that looks a little nicer. i'm on the samba too but thoguht that amybe I could post my question first here.. i wanna be a little more specific to the year, and not have my thread/question get buried lol.

and yes, i've found a wiring diagram, but it looks uberconfusing :shock:
i'm sure i'll be able to figure it out tho. my boyfriend is an avid aircooled vw fan so he can help me out too :) thanks for the great advice on where to buy!! if i have any more questions about this that i can't get answered i'll email you :) thanks!!!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

You could also put a set of motorcycle turn signals in behind the front grilles. Looks really nice, plenty of visibility, and you don't have to redrill the fenders for the stock blinkers.

Odds are you can look up into the wheel well from teh bottom and see where the old fenders were either bondoed over or welded closed, that way you would have an easier ti relocating stock blinkers.
VeeDubCoyote

Post by VeeDubCoyote »

that's a good idea with the motorcycle blinkers... i'll look into it.

if i decide not to go that route, thanks for the tip finding the original locations on the fenders :)
VeeDubCoyote

Post by VeeDubCoyote »

kind of a long time between posts.... but, i double checked the front fenders and it doesn't look resealed or bondo'd, so I'm gonna assume that the previous owner just put new fenders on ... would this be a safe assumption?

regardless, there's a VW shows (Volksblast) here in Miami in a couple weeks, so I think I'm just gonna remove the stand-offs I have now to make it not look so messy in the front.