CV Boot

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

provichild

CV Boot

Post by provichild »

I have a swing axle transmission and one of my boots ripped. How long do i have until i must replace it and what can happen??? Also i'm looking to convert it to IRS; what do i need to buy and change to do this???
fatalifeaten

Re: CV Boot

Post by fatalifeaten »

provichild wrote:I have a swing axle transmission and one of my boots ripped. How long do i have until i must replace it and what can happen??? Also i'm looking to convert it to IRS; what do i need to buy and change to do this???
Replace the boot. It's not a CV boot though, that's IRS only. To convert you have two options. First is to swap your body onto an IRS pan, and the second is to convert your swing pan to IRS. The pan swap's probably easier, but why would you want to convert?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'm with fatalifeaten. I'd keep my swing axles.

First off, did you top off your gear oil? This is crucial if there's a rip in the axle boot. If you've never changed the gear oil, I'd drain it and refill it ASAP.

You should also replace the boot. You must do this with load on the rear axle so there's space to fit the replacement boot. A drive-on lift works best.

I will never recommend anyone used urethane parts on their cars EXCEPT for axle boots. In this one instance, the aftermarket kits are better than the originals. The seam should be horizontal, toward the rear of the car.

Also, have lots of Simple Green and cleaning rags on hand. The transmission and frame horns will be covered in gunk, and I want to see it spotless.