distributer problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

spokaneDave

distributer problem

Post by spokaneDave »

OK, I have been working through a complete tune up on the 66 I recently bought and I wanted to know if anyone out the had a solution to my problem. When I went to tighten the screw to set teh adjustment of my points, it stripped out, it will not tighten all the way. How do I get it to tighten without buying a new distributer, or am I out of luck?

Also, I am not too sure if the motor that I have is original, how do I find out if it is a high cc?

Thanks
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

retap it and use the next size larger screw
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
spokaneDave

Thank you

Post by spokaneDave »

Thanks scruffy. Another problem for you........how can you tell how many cc your motor is? I am not too confident that the bug I have has the original 1300 in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Dave: The original 66 1300 engines start with the letter F. Don't feel bad if you don't have the original engine, these things were mixed and matched all the time as engines were rebuilt.
spokaneDave

Thanx

Post by spokaneDave »

I will take a look and see. Any way of telling how big the motor is?

By the way, the weather here has warmed up and much of the 6 ft of snow we had it gradually melting away. I here the midwest id beginning to get pounded, any new snow at your place?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Yes Dave you keep that crap out there I don't want no more. The 1300 has I believe 77mm pistons and the 1500 have 83mm,1600 are 85.5mm The engine # is stamped below your generator stand FO is right for the 66 1300 as John mentioned If it starts with a H it will be a 1500, If it starts with a #5-9 it's the old 40 horse1200cc.The 1300cc block is a strong case and back in the day they were excellent builders cases for the muscle bug til the 1600 dual relief cases took over. By looking at your heads and the size of your cylinders you can pretty much tell the 1300 are small in comparison to the larger15-1600cc cylinders. Your engine should also have a single port intake,dual port didn't start til late 70-71. hope that helps :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
spokaneDave

Thanks

Post by spokaneDave »

I am a teacher and we got over 6 ft of snow in 2 weeks. I feel like all I did during the break was shovel snow and drive my wife around. Not enough time to work on my bug. Thanks scruffy for the advice, it does help and I will check out tonight and see what I have under the hood.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

We are pretty buried Dave and now we have the sub sero temps. This morning it is -10 with a "real feel" of -28 degrees. Tonight it is supposed to drop to -14 degrees. I don't even think the dogs want to go out in this weather.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:lol: Hey Kids i've got - 41.7 below as we speak.schools are all running 2 hours late. I'll have to give the chickens a little extra corn this morning when it warms up to -30 and guess what ? Say thank you Scruffy,cuz John it's coming your way!!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

We have a balmy -35 this morning (real-feel), so we didn't get it as bad as you - but our schools shut down completely. They don't make em as tough in Wisconsin as Minnesota I guess! :lol:
scruffy

!

Post by scruffy »

Heck you think were tough, you should see my CHICKENS!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The '66 1300 engine shared the same bottom end (crank and cam) with the later 1500 and 1600 engines, but the top end had smaller pistons, cylinders and valves.

You can determine if your engine started out as a 1300 by checking the letter code on the serial number, but there's no way to determine if it hasn't been rebuilt to larger specs without tearing it down.

I've found that the 1300 is a pretty stout little engine, and most 1300s are still 1300s.