parts

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

parrot

parts

Post by parrot »

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy engine rebuild parts. There are alot of choices.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I like to go to Wolfsburgwest.com for just about anything.
parrot

Post by parrot »

Ok thanks alot Ill check it out
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

parrot
what type of engine parts ?
parrot

Post by parrot »

Hi Volks. I need a set of heads.Pistons&cyls,bearings and a gasket set.
Thanks
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Parrot
Nice to meet you.
piston set and heads purchase from BROTHERS.If you want good stuff at the very best price...only purchase from these guys..shops like wolfsbug w
are very good on everything else but not on engine parts just to much money. have you every set in pistons before? use copper silicone to set in the cylinders. if this is stock 16OO DUAL PORT then you really dont have to worry to much about compression. the heads will have an inner lip edge...just make sure the pistons do not travel past the cylinders..
i hope you understand if not pm me and we will take on the phone..

in a stock motor we always try for a 7.5 compression...99% of the time you are there unless you have worn bearings or worn rod bearing which allow movement forward on your pistons>>>How is the end play? does it fall within spec?

http://www.brothersvwmachineshop.com/

Matt
parrot

Post by parrot »

Thanks alot volks. Truth is Ive always done american muscle cars so I'm new to VW. The body and interior is no problem its the mechanicals Im still learning.I wish I would have gotten into VW earlier because I really like messin with mine.I want to get the engine and tranny tiptop before I paint.I like this site better than others like samba because the people here dont argue about who is right seems here people just want to help each other out.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

parrot
well any time you need information...look me up....

mdazzo@optonline.net

also go to youtube vw motors you need to understand some basics when it comes to air cooled motors...VALVE ADJUSTMENT the most important maintance...and TIMING. motor can not run hot...is yours a doghouse?
parrot

Post by parrot »

Yes mine has the vertical oil cooler in the fan shroud. One question I have is why the cooling fins closest to the cylinders are cracked all the way around the chamber. The fins are pushed slightly in the direction away from the cylinders.Should I just get new heads for the cost?
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

parrot
yes you are going to need new heads. I am sure you are talking about the #3 cylinder.On the right side of the motor there is what looks like a small bellows...is it there? Please take a look under the push rod tubes
cylinder 1 and 2

matt
parrot

Post by parrot »

No I see nothing like that
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

now i know why the cylinder cooked
parrot

Post by parrot »

Your talking of the thermostat
volksbugusa