I'm confused

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

parrot

I'm confused

Post by parrot »

I'm finding conflicting info about my 66. I know it is not the original engine so any help would be appreciated. Heads are single port and say Mexico in them. Front of engine case says AH237831 is this a Calif. 1600? On the sides it says A541 and 31043101102.Also under the upper right mount (to tranny) it has a hole. What do I have?
fatalifeaten

Re: I'm confused

Post by fatalifeaten »

parrot wrote:I'm finding conflicting info about my 66. I know it is not the original engine so any help would be appreciated. Heads are single port and say Mexico in them. Front of engine case says AH237831 is this a Calif. 1600? On the sides it says A541 and 31043101102.Also under the upper right mount (to tranny) it has a hole. What do I have?
It's an AH case, '72-'74 model. Single port Heads from Mexico It's actually "AS41", not A541. Means it s a dual oil pressure relief case. AH cases are generally pretty decent to be used for rebuilding.

Does this engine run? The "hole" in the front, about how big around is it? Sounds like the front oil galley plug's missing, it would be right about there unless I'm confused about where you mean.

Sounds like a Mexi-motor. (An engine rebuilt in Mexico for that market. You see them all the time here in the southwest, as well as other places.) No real way of knowing though unless you tear it down and look inside.

Definitely not the original engine :) Could very well be an attempt to build a stock replacement though, your '66 would have had a 1300 in it. Could be a 15 or 1600 single port rebuild too. Depends on when it was really built and what the owner intended to have done when it was replaced I guess.
parrot

Post by parrot »

Thanks alot Fatal I appreciate the info. The hole is in the (bellhousing) for lack of a better word,lower and to the left of the top right trans. bolt. Any ideas?. Is there a way to tell for sure what size it is. THANKS
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Hmm... I'd have to see a photo of this mysterious hole, I can't picture in my head one being there.

Without puling a head off and checking the tops of the pistons for the size marking that should be engraved there, and then measuring the length of the stroke up and down in the cylinder, there's not really any way to tell the displacement of the engine other than a guess. They all used common parts and visually even a 2332 looks just like a 1500 when you pull off the top end bits. There's just really no way to tell by looking at it. (caveat that with 25 and 36 horse engines, which do look different, the cases are different.)
parrot

Post by parrot »

Thanks alot Fatal someone with experience can often help more than text
couion

Post by couion »

I also have a case like yours. The hole is for a sensor on the late model fuel injected engines. Does it have a mechanical fuel pump or is the fuel pump mounting area just flat?
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I've also now seen a live example of this. Helped a friend assemble his long block from a shorty over the weekend and he's got the same hole. His does have the plumbing for a mechanical fuel pump, however. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's for FI or late smog junk, yoyu probably won't be needing it anyway.
parrot

Post by parrot »

Mine has a mechanical fuel pump. Thanks guys