Greeting Folks

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
pat7582

Greeting Folks

Post by pat7582 »

I'm a new VW owner, recently bought a 66 sedan on ebay. My folks had one as a second car when I was in high school. Loved driving it, even drove it around the yard before I was old enough to have a license. Took my driver's test in it. Wanted to get one back in the 80s, but got married and had to shelve the idea. With the passage of time the idea returned.

Plan to pick it up next month (it's in CA) and drive it to the east coast. Some might say it's a foolish idea to buy an over 40 year old car sight unseen (except for ebay pix) and drive it across the country. (No fool like an old fool) Did that before when I was younger, it was a 1931 Model A Ford, and the trip was a success mostly because I brought a lot of tools and a lot of spare parts. I had more experience working on a Model A than I have had with a VW (none). That VW my folks had while in high school was new enough then to go to the VW dealership for service. In some ways this might be an easier trip as the Model A would only cruise at 40-45 MPH, going around the Atlanta beltway in the dark winter evening rush hour in a freezing rain storm was a white knuckle adventure.

As before I plan to take tools (metric this time), spare parts, John Muir's book, a Haynes manual, printouts of Rob&Dave's Air Cooled VW procedures, and several credit cards. I'll try to give a few updates from the road. Any advice or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Wish me luck/Pat
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Welcome, and good luck :)
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

PAT7582

WELCOME to the forum!!

Good luck with your trip! A friend of mine did the same as you but from theSamba.com, from Washighton St and in FEB!! He drove over the rockies in the winter with no heat!! :shock:

You might want to check out...

http://www.type2.com/rescue/

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welcome to the forum! I'd admire your enthusiam!!! Make sure you do a valve adjustment and oil change before your trip! I went out to New York in mine a few years back (from Wisconsin) with no problems.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Hello and Welcome!

That sounds like the perfect Road Trip to me!

the very best of luck with it, it would be cool too see some pictures and video of your adventure too!

Alex.
pat7582

Post by pat7582 »

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum and for your comments. I fly out later today to pick up the car.

fatalifeaten - Thank for wishing me luck, the owner of the Bug House here in Virginia Beach, a friend, has , while not completely discouraging me, said he usually advises folks not to make such trips in newly purchased VWs.

empiracer1966 - Your friend was pretty gutsy. I'm taking the southern route that, while longer, will be warmer. On the other hand there's a lot of desert to go through.

jmartini - I've taken your advice to heart. Burnett Sand Center has had the car this last week changing the oil, adjusting the valves, doing break work, replacing the rear shocks and ignition system components, and the owner Terry is driving the car around today to give it as much of an operational test as possible before I give it the 3200 mile optest.

crazydaze - last night the camera battery was charged, the memory purged and it's ready to take pictures. I'll attempt a report from the road and if I can figure out how to download the pix to strange computers, I'll post them also.

Also if anyone can tell me how to make pictures smaller than 640x480 so they will attach, I'd appreciate it.

Again thank you for your welcome./Pat