Clutch wear???

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

RobM

Clutch wear???

Post by RobM »

Every clutch I've ever seen wear-out has just worn until it slips.

There's almost no more play in my clutch cable--tightened all the way--and now it's not dis-engaging the clutch anymore. The ring it pulls to dissengage the clutch is mostly forward.

Mechanic says the clutch is probably worn out. Seems odd to me, I would think the clutch would be slipping if it was worn out, not cease to dis-engage. :? Does a beetle clutch somehow pull the other way? (ceasing to free-up rather than slipping when it's worn out?)

Anyone with more experience have any thoughts? :?:
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

When you say the ring is mostly forward, do you mean the clutch arm is pulled almost all the way toward the front of the car? It should be leaning back toward the engine with your foot off the clutch and pull from there as you depress the pedal. If it's in any other position I think yo'd better pull the engine and see what's going on in there.,,

Can you post a photo of the transmission/clutch arm?
RobM

Post by RobM »

fatalifeaten wrote:When you say the ring is mostly forward, do you mean the clutch arm is pulled almost all the way toward the front of the car? It should be leaning back toward the engine with your foot off the clutch and pull from there as you depress the pedal. If it's in any other position I think yo'd better pull the engine and see what's going on in there.,,

Can you post a photo of the transmission/clutch arm?

Yes, in the rearward position there's not enough pull distance to disengage the clutch.

The clutch arm is already pulled most of the way forward. This has been going on since I've had it. Shifts fine for a while then grinds a little going into 1st. I tighten the cable a couple of turns, and the grinding quits for weeks or months, then starts again, as though she's not fully disengaging the clutch. So I tighten her up a couple more turns and she's fine again . . . for a while.

Now I'm running out of movement in the clutch arm. (And broke another hook) The local VW mechanic said its probably clutch wear, but I can't see--mechanically--how that could cause it to not disengage. (Maybe he just wants an exscuse to pull the engine and see what's going on.)

I've always thought the transaxle was wearing out somehow, but it doesn't slip out of gears at all, it just keeps needing to be tightened over and over. :?

All a picture would show is the clutch cable tightened to within 1/4 inch of all the way so the clutch lever never springs all the way back.
RobM

Post by RobM »

I talked to the guy at the local Import parts shop and he immediatly said it was the clutch tube broken loose in the channel. I told him that I didn't see how that would make the clutch lever keep having to move forward and he replied that he'd explain it if I came back when he wasn't taking an order. He's one of the local beetle gurus and seemed positive, so I'll go back and pick his brain. Car goes to the shop on Tuesday and I might as well know what the problem is before I get any bad news.

Everything forward of the clutch seems like a simple lever & cable to me. Since the clutch lever itself is 90% forward, I'd bet on something inside the clutch or transaxle release mechanizem being worn, or loose, or bending. (42 years of wear can be a little rough on anything.)

Anyway, I'll let folks know what he finds for future refrence.
Athen_TL

Post by Athen_TL »

Hi,

same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. And, yes, your guru might just be right. The flexible hose that guides the clutch cable from within the car to the gearbox rests on the end of the cable guide tube that runs within the chassis.

In my case the tube broke loose (it's only welded on in 2 places - one in the back and one on the separator that also holds the gear leaver guide.

When they brake, the tube has the tendency to slip forward. The flexible hose follows and you have no more clutch.
RobM

Post by RobM »

Athen_TL wrote:Hi,

same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. And, yes, your guru might just be right. The flexible hose that guides the clutch cable from within the car to the gearbox rests on the end of the cable guide tube that runs within the chassis.

In my case the tube broke loose (it's only welded on in 2 places - one in the back and one on the separator that also holds the gear leaver guide.

When they brake, the tube has the tendency to slip forward. The flexible hose follows and you have no more clutch.

- Thanks!
RobM

Re: Clutch wear???

Post by RobM »

RobM wrote:Every clutch I've ever seen wear-out has just worn until it slips.

Does a beetle clutch somehow pull the other way? (ceasing to free-up rather than slipping when it's worn out?)

- Turns out it was a simple problem . . . the clutch just exploded. The mechanic showed me the pieces of the outer rim. I don't know what--exactly--happened but it was in pieces.

- New clutch, problem solved.