Starter

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Bow66

Starter

Post by Bow66 »

I have a 66 beetle that, i just finished putting new pistons, jugs, rings, heads on and when I try to start the engine it will barely turn over. I have never had this car running outside of a compression test with no plugs. I put a new battery in with no improvement. The car had been sitting since about 1980 when I got it a couple of months ago. I used to own another 66 back in the early 80's and I don't remember it being so hard to turn over. This one can be turned by hand. Any ideas would be a great help. Of course none of the shops around here seem to be able to test anything 6 volt. :roll:
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

please email me at

volksbugusa@optonline.net would like to talk to you on the phone...
please do not turn the crank any more...
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I had this exact problem just recently with a newly rebuilt engine.

Turned out that the starter bolt and the lower stud nut were both loose and the starter was binding *just* enough to make it hard to turn over, but not to seize up.. Killed a brand new battery before I figured it out. A couple turns of the wrench later and it's all good.