Home made door pin tool.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bajadave66

Home made door pin tool.

Post by bajadave66 »

I was trying to figure out how I could remove my door pin so I can add another mirror to the passenager side. I saw one on another bug site and he wanted a fortune for the tool.
When I get home, I'll take pictures. There is some maching to do but you probably can get away by finding the correct pin, barrel and large "C"clamp.

Okay, Lets see if this works,
Find a "C" clamp that can open up at least 6 1/2 inches. You need to grind off the bottom end for clearence. use a 90 degree Drill extension to drill a hole to fit a 1/4 dowel, Don't drill all the way, you need to capture the dowel pin. If you have a lathe, you can make a pin like I did. It's much simpler to drill straight through and then have the pin step hole the pin from following through.
Here's the C clamp I used and the hole I drilled. You can also se where I grinded of the clamp to make more clearence to get right under the door hinge.
The center piece is a barrel which will allow the pin to be press upward and into the barrel.
The other parts are to install the pin back in to the door hinge. If the pin is still being a bear to remove after you got it started, just use a 1" long, 1/4 dowel extention pin to finish the job.
Attachments
Picture 024.jpg
Picture 024.jpg (34.3 KiB) Viewed 17938 times
Picture 025.jpg
Picture 025.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 17937 times
Picture 026.jpg
Picture 026.jpg (8.35 KiB) Viewed 17936 times
exprof

Post by exprof »

I wish I'd seen this before I bought the Eastwood hinge pin puller (part #31139). It got the pin out well enough, but replacing the pins scratched up my paint something fierce. Oh well, I was planning to have the car painted, anyway...
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Very creative!
jemizasi

Post by jemizasi »

This might be helpful. I am trying to install a passenger side mirror on my '66. Great Idea!!