I did the tune up, but...

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

exprof

I did the tune up, but...

Post by exprof »

The tune up went well, but a problem has surfaced. As a last step, I adjusted the carburetor and set the idle at 900RPM. Now when the engine is warm, the idle drops off to about 700RPM, and the engine occasionally dies. Any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Is it in need of timing?
A volksie thanks,
Max
exprof

Post by exprof »

I checked the timing as part of the tuneup. Do you think I should check it again?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Is it possible you adjusted the idle when the screw was still resting on the Choke assembly? I can see how that could play a role when the car warms up. I wouldn't think it would be the timing but you could double check it too make sure.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

I always recheck the timing...its the last thing I do, I've seen the timing move as much as 5 deg. after tightening the clamp bolts :shock: and It's alot easier to recheck the timing then an engine rebuild because of engine detonation...

I too was also wondering if the engine was totally warmed up...

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Set the idle once it's warmed up completely. It'll idle higher cold, it's sort of supposed to. :)
exprof

Post by exprof »

I checked the timing, and it was off. I guess that I didn't tighten the distributor clamp quite tightly enough. One other thing happened, though. According to my Bentley Manual, the distributor has to be turned clockwise to close the points, but counter clockwise to open them. When I redid the timing, I noticed that the points would only open if I turned the distributor clockwise. The pulley was sent to the # 1 TDC position, and the rotor was lined up with the mark on the distributor rim. Did I miss something or do something wrong?