Shock Absorbers

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jack01

Shock Absorbers

Post by jack01 »

I just got new Gabriel gas shocks for the front and rear of my '66. I did this because I read in one of the manuals that the OEM shocks were not adequate and should be replaced. They mentioned gas shocks as an alternative but did not make a recommendation one way or the other. My mechanic friend tells me that the hydraulic shocks are better and that the VW was not designed for the bouncy ride that gas shocks give. Anyone have an opinion on what's better??
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I've run both, and your mechanic friend's dead-on in my opinion. My '67 had KYB Gas-A-Justs at all 4 corners, and was stiff as all get out. You'd think your fillings were gonna rattle loose on some of the moderately maintained roads around here, and forget driving at any kind of speed on rough roads.

My '66 I'm running Empi Oil filled up front and the KYB's out back. Night and day. Front absorbs the occasional rough patch, and the rears help keep the bottom planted where it belongs.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Are coil over shocks worth a shiz on the beetles?
A volksie thanks,
Max
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Not really, no. The beam is providing your suspension and travel, the skicks are really there just to be dampers and kelp keep the tires planted. Coil overs are designed to carry the suspended weight and be an active part of the suspension, so they're not really optimal for a stock suspension or one modified form stock (IE a lowered front end for example)

If you modify it wildly (air bags, or an A-Arm truss as examples), coilovers can bring more tot the table for you.