Low back seats

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

pira114

Low back seats

Post by pira114 »

Anyone know where I can get a decent pair of "stock looking" low back seats?

Not lookin to restore this car, would just like new seats that look very similar to the origional type. Can't find any on the web. Found some low back bucket seats, but I want seats that look and function like the origional ones.

Any suggestions? I couldn't even find anybody selling their frames so I could rebuild them.
bill hauck

low back seats

Post by bill hauck »

seats for a 66 or 67 can be hard to find. earlier ones are somewhat similar and may suit your purposes. make sure, then, to order the corect year seat covers. The 66-67 seat covers fit poorly on earlier seat frames.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

The samba and your local criagslist are 2 places I'd start with.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Cool. I'll keep lookin. Found a pair at a local bug shop. But they want $239 per seat. Kinda rich for me, plus they're soft leather. Maybe with seat covers, they'd look origional. Might have to just start saving.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

239 per seat? HOLY COW! They're pretty proud of those seats.

I'd expect to spend under a hundred for a pair of frames in decent shape, maybe a buck-fiddy if they're complete and have good upholstery on them.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I've seen seats on thesamba.com usually for about 40 bucks a seat but you will need to totally redo them and find a way to ship them to your place. Here's an example:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=601808
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

If your looking to recover the seats anyways and have a few minutes on your hands, check the wrecking yards and if your lucky to have a vw wrecking yard around there check them if the plain one doesn't have a set, you will have to search the yards, if they pull them it'll run you more, same with the vw yard
A volksie thanks,
Max