Decklid / engine lid locks

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

tofufi

Decklid / engine lid locks

Post by tofufi »

Hi all,

I think the engine lid lock changed for the '64-65 years and then was different for the 1966 model year onwards (3 screw type).

Does anyone know the difference between the two types?

Cheers,

Jim.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I think it actually changed in '65. '64 is a T handle and '65-67 have the later push button style mechanism. After '68 I have no idea though.
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

I thought '63 was the last year for the T handle?

I'm being a bit anorak-ish here, but the decklid lock on my beetle misses the catch by over an inch, whilst everything else lines up perfectly (wings/valence/decklid etc) so I need to sort it, preferably without making a new catch.

Thanks for the input 8)
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I used some washers to space it out as mine was off as well. On the later rear apron you can do that, as the latch plate's not integral to the apron :)

Make sure the decklid's correctly adjusted, and that your lock's not bent or mangled, and then shim as needed. :)

I can take a picture if it'll help?
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

tofufi...

The "T" handle was a mid year change in '64 (as I have one of each, 1 early and 1 late) as well as the Licence plate light, it too was a change but an early model change...I'm not sure of the chassis numbers where these changes occured :oops:

as for the having to use spacers or washers to be able to get the deck lid to latch...again a there was a "mid model" change...it happened in early '66 with the early '66s receiving a Flat style plate that bolted to the apron and the later style getting a raised "horseshoe" like shape. With these goes along with I believe the 3 bolt 2 pc latch and then the 1 pc rivited latch starting sometime just before the '67 models which then continued till the end...I believe :? I'm not positive on that...I'll have to check my parts stash and reference pics. and see what I can come up with :oops:

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Can you use the 67 3 bolt locking decklid latch on the 66, its 3 bolt...
A volksie thanks,
Max
armandjones82

Post by armandjones82 »

Have you tried changing the Deck Lid of your Beetle? It might work out well if you did change it to a new one in order to really make things well. I hope the stuffs that you may learned here at the forum might help you out.