1300 stiff shifting

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jayson4060

1300 stiff shifting

Post by jayson4060 »

The shifting is not to easy. from first to second is ok and about the right feel however than you need to push dawn and hunt for third and it is a very long reach. and you have to look and feel hard for it. many times it ends up back in first and really is bad sounding as the engin revs. once finding third and going to fourth is still a mater of hunt till you find fourth. I have discribed this the best I can. Is their any way to adjust the shift lever. From the pictures I have looked at it appears to me that it can only go in one way Help. :(
bajadave66

Post by bajadave66 »

fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Pull your back seat, pop open the inspection cover and look at the shift coupler. It should have a square metal cage with plastic caps on both sides, a grub screw on the top , and another screw and nut running through the plastic pieces. If it looks worn or the pillow blocks are missing, replace it. The grub screw should go into an indexing hole on the nose cone of the transmission. If it's not connected properly, you'll lose gears.

Up front, check that shift bushing as was suggested.

What kind of shifter do you have? They're not all created equal. Some of teh aftermarket shifters are just plain junk. Stock shifters with short throw kits work really well, and so do the pricier shifters (Berg, Hurst, CSP, etc). I've had good luck with my Scat Drag Fast, but I seem to be in the minority on that one as I've read numerous complaints about how hard they are to correctly adjust and how poor the finish is.

If you look at your shifter, you'll note that there are 2 bolts holding it in and that there's room to adjust it by loosening them and sliding forward, backward, and slightly to the left and right. This adjustment will need to be dialed in to get all your gears. Sounds like you need to go to the right a bit with the shifter. This is a game of fractions of an inch, so I'd suggest you get a white or silver sharpie and mark the outline of your shifter on the tunnel so you know where you started from. Adjust it in small increments until you have all gears without hunting (including reverse!) Then bolt that puppy down good and tight and re-mark your position. Should work well from there.

'Luck :)
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

I just spent, I guess toooo much time typing out another possible cause and remedy only to click submit and have the forum kick me out!! :evil: :evil:

As I was trying to say...but with a ton more info. and procedures...

Check the shifter coupling and bracket for these will give you simular troubles.

There...short and sweet, if you want the procedure, I'll have to find a faster typer :?

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB