need to price my 66 bug

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Mother of Pearl

need to price my 66 bug

Post by Mother of Pearl »

Hello,

What a kick to find a web site devoted to '66 bugs!

I have had one for some years, named Pearl. Sadly I need to sell Pearl. I'm trying to find out what is a fair price for her -- in fact, a price that I can *document* as "fair market." I'm hoping someone on this site could advise me.

BTW, my very first teenage car (waaay back) was a '55 bug and I've also owned a '68 beetle. Many thanks to the brilliant John Muir whose sage wisdom in the "Compleat Idiot" guide helped so often, so many years past.

Okay, here's the scoop on Pearl the '66 VW:

Back when it was my only car in the mid-90's, I had a lot of work done by a professional shop: there's a mere 18,000 miles on rebuilt 1500cc engine and rebuilt transmission. Also new front wheel bearings, new brakes, new clutch, new tires, alignment, and lots of minor stuff. Mind, these items are new no longer. Still original 6 volt, mechanic did some work-arounds in wiring. Person I'd bought it from had redone interior liner and replaced seats with ones from '68 bug. Original dash, radio, owner's manual. Original "bermuda" paint, minor rust, couple of small dings, one good bash to a fender, but all original fenders. Last I looked in 2001, car needed things like new window seals, wipers, brake lights, a clutch tube (bit tricky, that), and front hood was a little out of alignment, doesn't close tight.

In 2000 Pearl, although running fine, failed the California smog test and I couldn't renew her registration. She'd also been temperamental about months of heavy rain in Northern California, would just quit in a storm (usually on a deserted, wind-pounded road at midnight). So I parked Pearl -- first in a dry barn, then (when I moved) in open covered with a tarp. I know I should have started her up and taken for a drive monthly, but I didn't -- only a few times over past eight years. I tried to sell her in 2001 for $3000, and again in 2002 for $2000, but couldn't find buyer willing to pay what the mechanic told me to not take less than.

Recently I took off the tarp and cleaned. Mice had nested in engine compartment (to be expected). Seats and liner were bit moldy, cleaned up but still smell slightly; somehow liner got a hole in it. Now there's a little surface rust in places inside, around doors, dash (did I mention it rains here?). Of course those once-new tires are squishy, one's gone flat and rubber has deteriorated. The battery is toast. Front hood latch won't open, don't know what the wiring looks like. Pearl might start without too much hassle, and is still a sweet little car with good "bones." But bad storage has given her issues.

I need to sell Pearl now, so here's the real question: as-is, what's she worth? Is car in fair or poor condition? Local market conditions aren't simple either: I live way out in the boonies, so getting interested buyers to come out is tough. California is the nation's repository of old volkswagens, so no shortage for local collectors. Too expensive to ship it to an internet buyer far away. And of course the economy is sinking like a brick, buyers aren't plentiful. It happens that in my nearest tiny town is a professional antique car restorer, shop and all. He's coming next week to look at Pearl. If he buys her, he'd give her a full makeover and find her a loving home. He doesn't want to pay much, and I don't begrudge anyone a reasonable profit. But I can't give her away.

For legal reasons, I need to document that I sold Pearl for "fair market value" and not less. The Gold Book on internet says '66 bug in fair condition is worth $3000 -- I very much doubt I could actually get anything near that -- and Gold Book doesn't list anything for poor condition.

Can any VW experts on this site offer an opinion? Where can I look up value for collectible clunkers? And how should I document car's realistic market value, or lack thereof.

Thanks!
Mary
Cazadero, California
bajadave66

Post by bajadave66 »

The 66 is not original so that will bring here down a bit, but all that being said, There's a market now for VWs as gas keeps climbing. Depending on the pan condition and the body being straight., I would stay at the $3,000 price and work from there. If no takers, drop down to $2,500. Cleaning her up and taking pics will help with sales.
RobM

Re: need to price my 66 bug

Post by RobM »

Mother of Pearl wrote:Hello,

For legal reasons, I need to document that I sold Pearl for "fair market value" and not less. The Gold Book on internet says '66 bug in fair condition is worth $3000 -- I very much doubt I could actually get anything near that -- and Gold Book doesn't list anything for poor condition.

Can any VW experts on this site offer an opinion? Where can I look up value for collectible clunkers? And how should I document car's realistic market value, or lack thereof.

Thanks!
Mary
Cazadero, California

Just keeping an eye out for VW 'deals' I've found that there doesn't seem to be any sort of 'standard'. I tried to buy an 'all original' 64 Beetle in good condition for $1,500 but it sold the afternoon it was listed, yet I've seen folks asking $1,500 for 'projects' with no engine. It seems like--around So Oregon--a beetle in primo shape runs $3,500-5,500. Convertables in primo condition can get up to $10,000 no matter what year.

However, not running seem to generally be $1,000 OBO no matter what year. I think there was a pair with sun roofs that were inop, one sans engine, that were listed at $800- you-haul.

So you see, you're up against some stiff compatition when you say it doesn't run. Clean it out, put in a new battery, replace the fluids, and you'll get a lot more for it. Just let the next owner worry about rust and interior musk. Fixing that takes too much time.

You could sell it to the collector--and I love to see these babys refurbished and taken care of--or, take some pictures and put it on craigs list. Start high and document offers, that should prove 'fair market value'. If you get no offers at $3,000, you can pretty well prove you hav to take less.

Good luck with her.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Location, condition, and supply are all going to make the price vary wildly. You might hop in the samba and look at comparable '65 and '66 models and see what people are asking for them. The prices will range wildly but should give you a ballpark. If it's in fair shape and only needs minor love and bodywork, 1500-2000 is probably what it'd go for here in AZ. However, teh same car may sell for a lot more on the east coast where cars with less rust command higher prices (hence the reason a lot of west coast and southwest cars end up on trucks headed east).

As you're comparing ads on the samba, look at how long they've been listed for. A 4k car that's not been sold in over 4 months is probably way out of it's price range, You might also look at your local craigslist for similar cars as it'd give you a local ballpark.

Some photos of your baby might also help. I can get a rough idea form your description, but looking at pics will help too.