Front Seat Levers?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

BahamaBlue

Front Seat Levers?

Post by BahamaBlue »

I have just bought my first bug, a Bahama Blue one in great mechanical shape, but in need of a new interior and paint job. As I was ripping out the interior I noticed my drivers side front seat has no 'latch lever' on the backrest. However, the passenger side does. It looks to me like the passenger side is original, but the drivers side is a replacement seat. Does anyone know what I've got? (i.e. do I have the wrong year drivers side seat back...)
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hello BahamaBlue and Welcome to the Forum - great to have you as a member!!! If you have a 1966 model year you should have the lever as shown below. If you have a different year let me know and I can research it for you. It was not unusual for seats to get swapped out as parts broke over the year (or in some cases as people wanted high bucket seats vs. the low backs).
Attachments
seatlock.jpg
seatlock.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 5094 times
BahamaBlue

Post by BahamaBlue »

It is a true '66 bug. So, since my drivers seat does not have a latch lever, it sounds like my drivers side seat is not a '66... Do you know what years do not have a latch lever? Thanks!
Unrelated, I'll post some pics when I finish the level of restoration I am shooting for.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Neither one of my seats have that lever but the back rests are round back as a 66 not sq. like the earlier models :?:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

chances are that something on your driver side has been replaced, all 66 came with back releases, and I dont believe many years offered one with no latch
A volksie thanks,
Max
backdraft100

PRICE OF REPLACEMENT

Post by backdraft100 »

I was at a show the other day and seen nice pair of 66 seat frams only... what is a fair price?. They have been restored and painted.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Your probably looking at anywhere between 100 - 200 dollars, that's what they seem to be fetching now-a-days.