Stalling

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

pira114

Stalling

Post by pira114 »

Hello,

Just got my "new" '66 and everything works great except one thing.

When I come to a stop and idle, about half the time it wants to stall and the generator light comes on. A little gas and it comes back to life. Sometimes I have to keep tapping the gas pedal to keep it going. Once I'm on the go again, it runs great.

I was wondering if this sounds like a generator problem? Or more of a carb problem? Or something else completely. I'm an okay backyard mechanic, but technical terms might be over my head, so keep it simple please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Cool forum.
couion

Post by couion »

A common problem with the solex carburator. The key is the jet which is located in the bottom of the carb. all of the stuff that slips through the fuel filter collects at the bottom and restricts the fuel. I suggest getting a carb. kit and giving the the carb a good cleaning using a carb cleaning solution and compressed air and install fresh gaskets. Another common problem is the throttle plate shaft ( butterfly shaft ) has a tendency to wear the body of the carb. if this happens it will allow too much air into the carb. Good Luck hope this helps.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Does it still have a stock solex on it or has the carb been replaced with a 30H/31 carb? The idle cutoff solenoids on these later carbs can also cause this kind of a symptom when they fail.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Honestly, I'll have to check. I was told when I bought it that it was completely stock. I was shown the paperwork showing that it had been totally serviced and tuned up two days before I bought it, so I have yet to really go through it. I've now owned it about 9 days.

Is there a glaring difference between the two carbs? How do I tell the difference?
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

go read the numbers off the left side (I think) and let us know what they are.

If it's a later model carb it will have a brass looking doohickey sticking out the left side at the base of the carb with a wire heading for the coil. (don't confuse with the choke on the right side). This is the idle cut-off.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Thanks. I'll do that. Gonna be a little while before I can get back here. My computer is on the fritz and I can only check the forum at work! Don't tell my boss.
bajadave66

Post by bajadave66 »

I'm having the same problem and I do have the solex 31PIC carb with the brass doohicky wire thingy. I did notice that I had some frayed wires connecting to the plug. Tomorrow I'll make a new connection and report what happens.