Origin

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

CJ'S VDUB

Origin

Post by CJ'S VDUB »

Hello out there,
I was wondering if any one knows how to determine if a bug is empi or deutchsland
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

hello
any way to be a little clearer on your question?
volksbugusa
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi CJ and welcome to the forum!
I might need a little help with your question. Are you trying to figure out which parts on your beetle might be aftermarket? EMPI (European Motor Products Incorporated) Specializes in sales of VW after market parts and accessories. Maybe we can help if you shoot us back another question! Thanks. John
CJ'S VDUB

Post by CJ'S VDUB »

Sorry, I was reading a parts magazine for mid-america motorworks and they sell a plate they say to attatch to your rear bumper showing your cars origin either empi or (D) for Deutchsland
thank you for your help
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

No problem (I'd go for the "D" myself! :wink: )
CJ'S VDUB

Post by CJ'S VDUB »

ok but do you know what it means i would assume the cars were made in germany not deutchsland sorry if this has been a dumb question
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Deutchsland = the german name of Germany
CJ'S VDUB

Post by CJ'S VDUB »

boy dont I feel dumb! Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions I greatly appreciate it
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

No problem CJ - Have a great weekend!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Those plates attach to a bracket that attaches to your bumper. MAM sells the ones that either have the "D" or "EMPI" stamped into them. The "origin" part is a little misleading, There's no way your car could have originated from EMPI, as they're not a country, city, state, etc. They're an aftermarket parts manufacturer. They're called an "origin style" plate because that was the original purpose for them back in the day.

In Europe, you'd see those little plates on cars letting people know where they came from. The D for Duetschland, FR for France, IT for Italy, etc. They're still in pretty widespread use over there and have inspired a desire in the aftermarket for them as an accessory over here in the states. Other companies also use that style of plate to get their name out on people's cars. My car club actually uses a plate inspired by the "D" plate to identify members cars with.

http://gallery.sixdaemonbag.com:50666/g ... 4.JPG.html
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Country 'plates' are a legal requirement when driving a car in Europe outside your own country.

So the past few years when I have travelled to France and Belgium for Shows, I have attatched a 'GB' (Great Britain) plate sourced through ebay to my car, so much better than the nasty modern Stick on or Magnetic plates sold over here:

Genuine 'D' plates etc are all available cheap on ebay so have a look around for a nice OG one maybe???

Alex.
exprof

Post by exprof »

CJ,

Vintage Parts, Inc. offers "D" plates with the year of your car:

http://www.vintagepartsinc.com/accessories.html

Welcome to the forum,

exprof