pop out windows

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bill hauck

pop out windows

Post by bill hauck »

I am replacing the window to body rubber seals.

They come in one piece. Are they cut to install or are they installed in one piece. The latter appears difficult if not impossible to do.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Please do not cut
they are installed as one solid seal.The resean for the tight fit is the backward seal motion that is created as the string is worked around the seal lip on the body....if you are also going to install metal strips that must be done while the glass is out,..,.
any other questions just email me we can talk on the phone..

mdazzo@optonline.net
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Ok, hold on, I'm confused. Are we talking standard quarter windows as the posts seem to indicate, or pop outs as the topic suggests? Aren't the prodecures different for pop outs?
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

fatalifeaten
the question should not have posted under pop outs...anyway I did talk to
Hal and all is well.
Cheers
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Ok, so do I need to change the title to Rear Quarter Windows to avoid confusion...please let me know and I will make the change. Thanks. John
bill hauck

pop out (not conventional rear quarter windows)

Post by bill hauck »

Matt, I forget: on the "pop out" windows, do I cut the rubber seal (window to body) seal to install??
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

you might have to cut the pinch ,but i would trial cut so that each side is touching the spring plate...(top of plate,bottom of plate) .when you install the covers the pinch edge should not be seen.
Matt
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

avoid cutting if possible, itll help keep the water out
A volksie thanks,
Max
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

the pinch will be longer then needed you will end up cutting or trimming or shaving the pinch to the spring plate.....never cut the outer glass rubber. in fact when replacing the outer seal always make sure the seam in centered on the flat side of the glass