generator

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

cavs66

generator

Post by cavs66 »

Need help with the wiring of the voltage regulator from the generator.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Cavs66! This is what I pulled out of the section on replacing the regulator in John Muirs book:

The thin wire in the generator is the field F or DF, the thicker one is the armature + or D+. On the bosch regulator the + terminal is on the right and the F (field) terminal is on the left.On the right side of the regulator there are two connections, one small one and one large one that sometimes has more than one wire connected to it. The small one is for the wire that runs to the red light. The other is the battery connection and its hot - so DONT let it touch metal.

I'm not sure if this will help or not OR if it's misleading not being able to look at the carwhile reading it - however, If this is confusing - I can always take a picture tomorrow and post it here - let me know! John
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Your Bosch reg is marked B+ battery DF Field D+gen hot 61 terminal is your idiot light. Right on John! DO NOT GROUND OUT,they cook them little ceramic elements in a hurry. Also make sure the center screw in the cover is secure.I've seen them fibrate off and the cover will short or arc causing to burn out your reg or worse.Mainly 6 volt reg where mounted on gen itself.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Here are acouple of Pictures I took today - I had to get close so you could see the wires so they are not the best quality but they may help. The pictures show the small braided wire with no covering going into the front left terminal, the thick black wire going into the front right terminal. On the side you see the green wire on the going into the terminal that is front (right side of alternator) and the two red cables going into the rear (right side of alternator).

Scruffy - help me out here - have I missed anything?

Remember I have a 6 volt system so that is what the pictures are representing.
Attachments
alternator1.jpg
alternator1.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 13487 times
Alternator3.jpg
Alternator3.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 13486 times
alternator2.jpg
alternator2.jpg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 13486 times
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:) That looks about right you'll have to show me how to post pics! Damn now i'll have to go look. Are you running a Alternator?
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Scruffy: When you bring up the text box to post - you will see a box below the text field with a dark blue border that says "Add an Attachment". Press on the browse button and you can scan your hard drive for a picture to attach. Please make sure it is less than 500 x 500 or it will not load correctly. Hope this helps!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:D Cool i'll have to try this out! how do I resize these suckers?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Usually whatever software displays your pictures will have a tool that will allow you to resize - you may need to scout around in the toolbars to find it - otherwise I believe there are some free software programs on the web that you can download to perform this function. Here's a link a link to a great site where you can resize your photos, just page down and browse on the 350 pixel size - that will work great!:

http://www.bigwebpages.com/big/resize.html

and here is an image resizer that Jan tipped me off about. It is free - you download it to your computer and you have it anytime you need it.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hey Cav - I've had charging problems before - it's a bear! Hope you got it all fixed up and are on the road again. Phil
Phil
San Antonio