South African '66

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
grahame

South African '66

Post by grahame »

Here are some pics of my 66. VW of South Africa imported semi-knocked down kits and assembled the Beetle at Uitenhage, on our south eastern coast. Production ceased in about 1980, I think. My car has been maintained by a retired former staff member at that plant, a German by the name of Werner Alker. Great guy, and wonderful mechanic. I plan to do some more work on her: no rust or dents, but some tlc required. Converted to 12v. Original colour bahamas blue, I think.
Attachments
IMG_3391b.jpg
IMG_3391b.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
IMG_3388b.jpg
IMG_3388b.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
IMG_3385b.jpg
IMG_3385b.jpg (65.52 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Wow - it's very beautiful, and the two tone paint is very striking!
restocal63

Post by restocal63 »

I totally agree two-tone color with that contrast is always fantastic. great looking car! :D
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Nice car and nice color. Round hubcaps?
grahame

Post by grahame »

R.I.P.

A daydreaming driver failed to heed a stop sign and drove directly into the side of my beetle, taking my 2 sons to within an inch of ending their lives.

The car is a wreck: front suspension finished, pan twisted, drivetrain locked, engine out of alignment - even the dash is twisted out of shape.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Attachments
IMG_3539 small.jpg
IMG_3539 small.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 10110 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Grahame - So sorry to hear about your 66 but glad to hear you and your two sons are going to be alright. The car is replaceable but you and your family are not! Hope things get better for all of you! John
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

:(

Hope everyone's ok. Sad to see the car smashed up, but it can be replaced.
grahame

Post by grahame »

Thanks for the support, guys. You're both absolutely right. First the mental healing, then the restoration project. Have to figure out where to start! One thing's for sure - I want my 66 back on the road again! can't imagine life without it.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - you will have plenty of help from people here if you need it!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Oh Grahame I am SO SORRY for your Beetle. I work with a fellow from South Africa and was just recently telling him about having read about your beautiful car.

Looks like the pan bolts sheared right off and the body peeled away. I normally wouldn't have thought it repairable, however after seeing what some of the folks on this forum are capable of, I believe you could bring it back given enough time and patience (and money of course).

I wish you the very best of luck ... glad to hear both you and your sons are safe.

-Seeblaukafer
'66 Type I