Ballast resistor

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

larryho

Ballast resistor

Post by larryho »

I have seen so many (including mine) cars fitting a ballast Resistor near to the coil while pictures of cars in your country does not show this to be the normal case.
The mechanics say that without the resistor the coil will be too hot and there will be overheating.
Are we doing something wrong or is there a way to get ride of the ballast resistor and the coil will still be cool with the engine functioning normally.
If we can do this it will be great.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Are you still 6 volt or have you converted to 12v?

I don't run any resistor on my coil, nor have I seen anyone else doing it here in the states....
larryho

Post by larryho »

You are right, I hardly see your cars having a resistor except ours. We must be doing something not quite right.
I understand that we can buy coils that are internally resisted. If so I am asking which brand. I always thought the Bosch Blue Coil is suitable for VW Dubs. Am I wrong?
Thanks
larryho

Post by larryho »

forgot to mention that we are mostly on 12V.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

The bosch blue coil's a good choice. If you're running any kind of electronic ignition you can run some of the Pertronix and MSD coils as well. Blue coil's a good safe bet. :)