Hola!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
fatalifeaten

Hola!

Post by fatalifeaten »

Greetings from the southwestern US. Stumbled across y'all when I was looking for some technical info about my '66, and here I am. :)

Been into VW's off and on since high school, but I've only owned a few in that time. My first was a '67 standard that I intended to be a full cal/custom looker, including the "blob" paintjob that was all the rage in the 90s. That car ended up getting totaled while parked at my folks' house one night while I was at work, and was thus saved from that horrible fate. :) Also owned a '73 or '74 squareback during the same time that I bought for parts (the motor and the front dics, which were going to go on the '67. )

Fast forward to 2004. I'd been wanting to pick up another bug for quite a while, but time and life kept it from happening. One day my wife and I saw this very clean looking stock '66 on 5 spokes sitting on a corner near our house. We stopped to look at it, and the rest is history.

We call him Clyde, and this is what he looked like the day he came home:

We drove him more or less like that for a year or so, and I sort of eased myself into Phoenix's active VW community. Found a couple of other forums and met some people at shows and cruises, and eventually would up getting involved with the Daily Driven Dubz car club out of Tucson. Together with 3 other guys I'm a founding member of the D3 Phoenix Chapter, and take a very active role in both our chapter and the club as a whole. We currently own 2 other VW's, a 2005 New Beetle Convertible and my latest project, a '63 ragtop T1 standard. I'm also on the lookout for a 21 window deluxe for my wife, but so far we haven't found "the one"

That's about it! Nice to meetcha. :)
Attachments
clyde01.jpg
clyde01.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hello Fatalifeaten and Welcome to the forum! I resized your photo so it would fit on the page without the scroll bar. Clyde is beautiful - no doubt about it. I've got an 05 New Beetle myself and love it, it's probably the nicest handling car I have ever driven. I wish I had a 21 window Deluxe but don't think thats in the cards, they are great looking vehicles. Being in Pheonix you get to drive Clyde all year round if you want - here in Wisconsin it's pretty much a six month proposition but I'm hoping to move somewhere a little warmer in about five years so I can enjoy my 66 year round. Once again Welcome - great to have you as a member.