INSTALLING POP OUT WINDOWS

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

volksbugusa

INSTALLING POP OUT WINDOWS

Post by volksbugusa »

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... nkid=link4

PoP OuT windows is a great project which will require some air brush
work. The complete project should take about 4 to 5 hours depending on
the amount of adhesive that is present from the factory headliner install.
Best thing I every did. Take a look any questions ---mdazzo@optonline.net
Volksbugusa
Last edited by volksbugusa on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Nice job! The paint touch up was impressive. :)
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Is it better to buy new popouts or to use already in possesion used ones
A volksie thanks,
Max
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

elkluvadore
i wish i can agree with you. there is nothing like true VINTAGE GERMAN PARTS.always repair what can be saved.lets see now you are saying new pop outs are well over $300.00.my pop outs are well under $ 100.00 and new rubber to boot! most of my customers would go the used route rather then new.
cheers
volksbugusa
Last edited by volksbugusa on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

As with everything, it depends on 2 factors. Overall condition, and whether or not that condition's acceptable to you. :)

At the very minimum, replace the rubber, as volksbugusa says. If the glass is cracked, replace it. If any of the mechanicals are missing, broken, or suspect, either pass on them, or pick them up for parts and keep looking. Sometimes you have to find 2 or 3 sets of used popouts to cobble the pieces to make one acceptable working set, but it can still be pretty easily done for later model cars.

Take solace in the fact that for a '66 a set of "good" popouts aren't 300+ bucks, like they are for the earlier small window cars, let alone "great" condition ones. :) I think I paid 75 dollars for mine with new rubber. They're not resto quality by any means, but they do look very good for being 42 years old. :)