Met previous owner of my Beetle !!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cheryl G

Met previous owner of my Beetle !!

Post by Cheryl G »

Rather strange guy. But proud of the work he had done on "my" Beetle !

Seems in my 1966 Beetle 1300 I have a 1776 engine with a modified motorcycle muffler. :shock:

He wanted to know what all I had done to the Beetle since purchasing it. I told him "put gas in it 5 times and have the oil changed". He was appalled ! I told him I have seven kids and was doing good to find time to drive it.

I told him the only thing I thought that NEEDED to be done was get the muffler changed. That is when he told me how proud he was of this "custom" muffler and he sure would like to have it back. He gave me his number and the more I have thought about this the more I want to call him and tell him to buy me a new "stock" muffler and he can have his custom muffler back. !!!

Now, I will give him credit that my Beetle will "haul butt" .

However, I have neighbors that comment on how loud the muffler is.

Have a nice day.

Cheryl
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Cheryl - Too Funny!!! :lol: Seriously though, tell him if he wants the custom muffler he needs to buy you a replacement - that seems like a really fair trade to me, and replacement stock mufflers are not that much - plus, then you can get that distinctive tweeting VW noise (a real bonus in my book). Let us know what happens!
seabluebug

Post by seabluebug »

How Bizarre! Go for the stock muffler - got to love that tweeting!
1966 - Nothing beats the vintage look!
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

No!!!!!, get a real distinct sound, plus some happy gases in the cab, just take off the exhaust, as long as you arent in california. lol :P
A volksie thanks,
Max