questions..questions..puzzling questions

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

chrissie

questions..questions..puzzling questions

Post by chrissie »

i bought a 66 bug august last year. i had the original dc motor replaced by an alternator,new voltage regulator, had the bug tuned up, replaced the steering damper and break pads. it worked fine for a couple of months, i was happy, i was actually saving up for body repair.
around one month ago, when ever i reach around 50kph the car starts shaking or wiggling,i'm not quiet sure. its just the front part of it though and the steering wheel isnt wiggly. it shakes harder as i slow down and to add to that when the bug starts running i can't shift to either 2nd or 1st gear until i actually stop.
the bug also started having problem with power. i work at night so i drive around 10 kms with the lights on and when i turn the engine off it wouldn't start agin unless i jump start it.
i would really love to keep this bug but its starting to get all kinds of problems. enlighten me please..
thanks!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

sound like you may have bent rim or thrown some wheel weights causing your wheel to go out of balance,and the wheel could be in the rear,which if it is,your cv joint might be going out causing shifting problems and shaking,not a real hard fix for a good mechanic!Still sounds like your voltage reg is not working or your battery is not taking a charge.I've had plenty of new stuff that was all junk out of the box. VW is a love affair,there like a pet,you don't throw em out in the cold for doing something wrong,you eventually let em back in. :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife