rim painting

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bill hauck

rim painting

Post by bill hauck »

anyone have any suggestions on how to paint two tone (black and white) rims for a 66 VW?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

This is what I did to make mine look original again: I had them completely sand blasted, then I had the entire rims powder coated black. Then the outer ring I believe they lightly sanded with a scotchbright pad and then painted with the correct light blue color for my Sea Blue Model. I went with powder coating because of the durability. Also, I had the weights placed on the backside of the rim so that my new rims wouldn't get scratched.
Attachments
rim.jpg
rim.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
Last edited by jmartini on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
couion

Post by couion »

If you are looking to do it yourself you can cut out a piece of thick posterboard about 8 to 10 in width and long enough to surround the inner part of the wheel then tape the ends toghether and use this as a seperator between the two sections of wheel and go to painting. I would paint the black first then use the separator to do the light color.
bill hauck

rim painting

Post by bill hauck »

I have used a piece of metal flashing on the outside to do this on my single cab but have a hard time separating the two areas for the beetle rims. will have them sand blasted.

thanks for the reply.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

jcwhitney and midamerica both offer a cone like thing, you paint the insode of the rim, let it dry, put the cone on it and paint the outside ring.
A volksie thanks,
Max