Defroster inop ???

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

RobM

Post by RobM »

RobM wrote:
jmartini wrote:If memory serves me correctly the hose should slip over the heater channel, Here's a link to the correct hose for the application:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 113819723A

Thanks for the link. No nipple on the heater channel for the hose to slip onto. Just an empty hole. I may have to fabracate one.

- Well I thought I'd found it. I was close, but no prize. :oops:

- After removing the carpet inside and the hood, and digging and vaccuming through several inches of muck down there, I found the nipples--with bits of foil heater pipe still attached. (By the mess I cleaned out, this poor bug looks like it was at the bottom of a river or something!) They were just buried and around a corner.

- Anyway, no 'Y' s are available new so the local parts store is scavenging some for me. They should be in Sunday.

- I hooked one side vent up and got my wife to plug the hose in for the other one since my forearm just won't fit down that trunkspace. So I should have side-vent defrosters now.

Thanks for the help folks,
Rob
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Glad we could help! Around here we just carry a ice scraper and crack our windows down alittle and put on a extra set of boxers. :roll:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
RobM

Post by RobM »

scruffy wrote:Glad we could help! Around here we just carry a ice scraper and crack our windows down alittle and put on a extra set of boxers.

- :lol:

- Yeah, but here in the Pacific Northwest we like to see those three-trailer big-rigs sliding down I-5 toward us in time to pull out of the way! (I mean, we've only got one freeway after all. It's nice to see what's coming.)
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

If your shop doesn't come up with any Y's I believe www.wolfsburgwest.com carries them. Glad to hear you're making progress. It's always nice to be able to defrost vs running an ice scraper over the inside of the windshield (been there!).
RobM

Post by RobM »

[quote="jmartini"]If your shop doesn't come up with any Y's I believe www.wolfsburgwest.com carries them. quote]

Thanks for the link, but I haven't been able to find them there.

They talk about them:

"DEFROST HOSE, connects from heater channel to "Y" connector, "

So I know I'm looking for a real part.

But I've searched under "Y", Defroster hose, connector, etc. etc. and I pull up nothing resembling a 'Y' connector. I also searched on the web and drew a blank. When the local Import Parts house said they couldn't get new ones, it just made me feel like less of an idiot at searching.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Sorry about that, I was going from memory - I bought some back in 2003 and I thought for sure it was from Wolfsburgwest, I'll do some looking too and see if I can come up with anything for you.
RobM

Post by RobM »

jmartini wrote:Sorry about that, I was going from memory - I bought some back in 2003 and I thought for sure it was from Wolfsburgwest, I'll do some looking too and see if I can come up with anything for you.

Thanks, I'm sure the used ones they're getting for me will be fine. Then again, I'm always on the lookout for places to buy parts from . . .
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

hey, have i got some maybe good news for you, midamericamotorworks carries the 3 way split for the later bugs, i recon they probably carry the 2 way, i ended up for mine, going to a vw junkyard :evil: and finding one, then instead of buying the 5 dollar part i bought the whole car for 125, whoops, it was sad, he was dumping the junkyard, so they were smashing the bugs with a loader and loading them on top of eachother on a semi :(
RobM

Post by RobM »

elkluvadore wrote: 5 dollar part i bought the whole car for 125, whoops, it was sad, he was dumping the junkyard, so they were smashing the bugs with a loader and loading them on top of eachother on a semi :(

- Thanks!

So far they found me the wrong 'T' (For a different model). He said he'd find the right one but I haven't had time to get back to him.

- Ouch, smashing beetles! Sounds like a rock band.

- I hope you got plenty of good parts off your $125 junker.
couion

Post by couion »

Found these thought you might be interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-bug-b ... enameZWDVW
RobM

Post by RobM »

couion wrote:Found these thought you might be interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-bug-b ... enameZWDVW

Thanks.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

anytime, i think ill start said rock band
A volksie thanks,
Max