Jammed Door Lock

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jennsputer

Jammed Door Lock

Post by jennsputer »

Can any of you fine folk help me please? You see, my boyfriend was going to help me by opening the car and putting my bags inside. Instead he somehow jammed the door lock / knob "in" and now you can't open the door from the outside.

That was a few weeks ago (I thought it might "magically" fix itself, as my car does sometimes). Now the door doesn't want to latch shut when I close it from the inside... So I think this is a bit more serious than I originally thought...

Do I need to replace the door knob / lock now, or can this be fixed?

Help?

Thoughts?
restocal63

Post by restocal63 »

Try to remove the door handle so that you can investigate what has gone wrong and try to push the knob to return back to its original poistion.

The door handle can be easily removed by opening the door, removing the door rubber (just pulling it) around the handle area and remove the three retaining screws.

Then just push the handle forward and the handle off the door.

Check the return knob spring, as also the plate as if forced very hard this can break and normally the knob remains stuck.

Hope this can help.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

jennsputer
sounds like the hardware is not original.To be honest with you go and purchase a new replacement thru wolfsburg west only...
Matt
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

If nothing else works, pull off the doors panel, roll up the window and investigate the workings, sometimes pieces pop out of the area their supposed to be in, it can usually be a simple piece popped out