My red '66

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Kilroy

My red '66

Post by Kilroy »

Here's some pics of my car:

Looking forward to talking with other '66 owners on this site!
Attachments
bug1.jpg
bug1.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 9833 times
bug3.jpg
bug3.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 9832 times
bug2.jpg
bug2.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 9832 times
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Nice!!!!!!

I'm s sucker for a Ruby Red '66! 8)

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Kilroy: Beautiful shots of your bug - it really looks fantastic!!! The interior looks original...is it?

I resized the photos so that they fit on the screen without the scroll bar. Please feel free to use the photo attachment tool when you post (It's right under the post box, it's the button that says "Browse"). With this tool even if the photos are too large it will post a link so that the page stays the same size (easier reading for us old folks :lol: )
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

jmartini wrote:Hi Kilroy: Beautiful shots of your bug - it really looks fantastic!!! The interior looks original...is it?

I resized the photos so that they fit on the screen without the scroll bar. Please feel free to use the photo attachment tool when you post (It's right under the post box, it's the button that says "Browse"). With this tool even if the photos are too large it will post a link so that the page stays the same size (easier reading for us old folks :lol: )
Sorry about the pics :oops: . The interior is TMI and I was impressed with the quality of the door panels and seat covers.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

The interior looks really nice. It must be nice to be located in California where you can drive it all year long - mine is tucked away in storage right now and won't make another appearance until April.
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

jmartini wrote:The interior looks really nice. It must be nice to be located in California where you can drive it all year long - mine is tucked away in storage right now and won't make another appearance until April.
I'll be driving around this weekend, and installing some new carpeting also. Does your car still have the 1300 engine?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Yes, I have the original engine in the car (that was one of the things I was looking for when I bought this last 66), I realize the horse power isn't as great as the later models but it suits me fine. I had the engine rebuilt this summer so I wouldn't worry about it and it runs like a top.
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

jmartini wrote:Yes, I have the original engine in the car (that was one of the things I was looking for when I bought this last 66), I realize the horse power isn't as great as the later models but it suits me fine. I had the engine rebuilt this summer so I wouldn't worry about it and it runs like a top.
Someday I'll find a good rebuildable 1300 to put in my car, then put the 1600 DP in a Baja or something.
Good on you for keeping the car OG. Do you have the OG type seat upholstery also?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

The previous owner had converted the interior to a gray velour throughout with a mohair (sp) headliner. I had all of that taken out and returned to as original condition as possible with after market materials. I wish I could say I had the original interior but this probably looks very close to what it looked like before the PO went to gray velour.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!