My 66 From Malta

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
restocal63

My 66 From Malta

Post by restocal63 »

Hi all!

First of all this is very interesting site dedicated to the 66 vw beetle only!

Here some information on my 66 which I just bought 3 months ago.

The car is in very good condition, very, solid all wings are og german as well as the pans etc, has stll the orginal F code engine and pans and only has 56400 miles on the clock.

The car was given a respray 8 years ago and now does not have its original Pearl White color but the owner preferred VW Ivory :shock: , which is not a correct 66 year color.

Car has been converted to 12V electrics, starts and drives very good, engine very stron and powerful compared to the 1600 twin port I have in my other bug.

Still has the orginal red square weave interiorm but the red carpet was repalced during the respray.

Also the front bumper, and one front indicator were replaced with cheap repr s :?

I am the third owner of this car. Some history which was given to me by the PO of this car, also was proved by the vehicles documentation. This car was bought from new from the local Malta agent in Dec 1965. This was used till the 1979 and was then stored in a dry garage till 1999 with only 35k miles on the clock until the original owner sold it to the PO. Then the PO restored it to get it road worhty once again and used ocassoinally.

Items which where replaced during the resto where color, brakes and rubber pipes, front bumper, front indicator, color and carpet.

My plans are to restore the car back to original condition and only has a couple of bits and boobs to getting it on the right track and other plans are to fit a Blaupunkt radio, rear pop-outs etc.

Here's a pic of my restolcal early 63 with my stock 66.

In Malta all the parts(german or nos) have to be bought from abroad such as the UK ans US as locally parts availabilty is only the cheap repro stuff, which I do not sincerly like.
Attachments
63&66n.jpg
63&66n.jpg (16.98 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hello restocal63 and welcome to the forum! It's great to have you as a member!!! Your 63 & 66 look beautiful - isn't it amazing that someone can let a car sit stored for 20 years? It sure worked out well for you and it sounds like the 66 does not need very much. It's a real plus to have the original engine too! Do you plan on going back to pearl white or will you leave it with the paint it has now? Once again, welcome to the forum! John
restocal63

Post by restocal63 »

Hello John,

Thanks for your warm welcome to the forum.

Many thanks also for the complements regarding the cars.

Yes in fact in Malta one can still manage to find old cars with low mlage which would have been stored for a long time but these have vansihed.

In fact ovals and split buses are high on demand but impossible in supply as all these have been sought after and are currently being restored or have been sold and ashipped abroad most of them to the UK.

Till now I have no plans in changing the colour back to pearl white but in the future who knows? Also the PO gave me 2 unused liters of the ivory color in case he would ever need it. In fact it has a small dent on the left wing which I plan to have fixed and sprayed.

My cars are not used as daily runners but are only used in our local meetings or exclusively as 'sunday sunny drives' 8)

Also checking out the rear bumper it seems to have been replaced with a 67 og one, note the sloping supports.
Attachments
66r.JPG
66r.JPG (39.62 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Looks a real nice car!

Alex.
restocal63

Post by restocal63 »

Many thanks for your complements crazydaze.

In fact all the restowagen cars IMO are simply the best. I particularly like your 66, Rich-VW US spec 67. Foxy's 65, Rob E 62 etc.

I try to follow the Restocal specs for my 63, but although it does not have a year correct color, I'm doing many slow gradual changes.

My 63 was orginally Beryl Green and still has only 93K miles on the clock, which are geniune as this was my Grandfathers car which he had given me for my 18th Birthday. Was very solid with no rust at all except the battery tray area. Started restoring it in 1997 and followed the Cal-look treatment at that time, but now almst 10 years later changed to restocal.
Now have given it a lowering treatment front and rear currently preparing a 4" narrowed beam, and then focus on the interior to have it all sorted. Its still original and not torn but has some areas which have changed colour because of the scorching Maltese sun which is around 40 degrees in summer with a UV index of 11+ :shock:

My dream would be scoring an oval :D been on the search for a couple of years now, so i would have one from each era.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

I dream of scring an oval too :lol: :lol:

In fact I dream of scoring a low mile car of any age :lol: :lol:

Keep up the good work, and get them pics up with the beam etc 8)

Alex.
restocal63

Post by restocal63 »

Good luck then, for scoring an oval. :D

Yes will post pics, currently I have just have cleaned the other axle and had already the shock towers machined via CNC milling m/c. I have used 8mm thick plates for no warpage at the shock top area. Will also buy lowered spindles so the ride will be okay as in Malta the roads are horrible :(

I carry out all the work myself, as I really love cars, and spend my free time which is very limited always restoring as just love the garage days! 8)
That why I take so long as the i just want to get one project finished at a time and not many.

In fact have other classics such as 2 Triumph Heralds, one covertible (to restore) and another one for parts which plan to biuld a kit car, such as a Lotus 7 replica. Also I'm helping my friend to restore a Ford Cortina MK2 16E :shock: