Strange electrical problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

MoBugMan

Strange electrical problem

Post by MoBugMan »

Here's one for y'all-
When I turn my ignition to the 1st stop, my idiot lights come on. after I start the car, and the RPM's get up, both the red and green lights go out. The red light stays out, until I turn on my headlights, then it comes on very dim. As I rev the engine, the red light gets slightly brighter, and then at idle it goes out. Everytime I up the RPM's, the light will come on dimly, and glow brighter as the RPM's go up.
I've checked for shorts, but I can't find any. It only happens when I have the lights on. During the day it stays off.
I am still running a 6v system. I will be switching over to 12v in a week or two, but am curious about this problem.
Any ideas?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Still sounds like a short to me. Perhaps something is touching under where all the connections are made - Also check under the hood where the wires connect to the alternator. Also make sure the brushes are good. Perhaps the added electrical load of the lights is just enough drain to key the light on. There just isn't a lot of juice in the 6 volt systems to go around. Good luck.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

here !here !sticky brushes and dirty armature
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife