my coughing bug....

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

chrissie

my coughing bug....

Post by chrissie »

hi all!

i'm having a problem with bhumblebee again. everytime i drive him,it sounds like his idle is low, then he just conks out when he glides in gear, i can also hear like a coughing sound from the muffler. i tried adjusting the idle, he doesn't conk out as often but the coughing sound is still there.

i really need a reliable ride, how do i help bhumblebee be reliable?

thanks is advance everyone!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Chrissie: I'm not sure what "coughing" means, so I will guess perhaps that means back firing or "popping" from the exhaust. Backfiring is usually a sign that the timing is not set correctly. It could be a other things as well, so if you feel you cannot diagnose it I would recommend finding a good mechanic that can make bumblebee reliable for you. There is nothing worse than being stranded on the side of the road at night.
chrissie

hey

Post by chrissie »

hi john. my vw is fixed,something got stuck in the gas filter.

is it really advisable to add in an extra gas filter? i'm already using the best fuel that is available at local gas stations.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

There should be just 1 filter - you shouldn't need two. Perhaps your tank is rusty and needs to be cleaned out and treated. If the tank sat empty for a number of years it may have rusted and that rust may be plugging up your filter. You can buy the best gas available but if the tank has junk in it, it won't matter. I have had mechanics tell me that even the best gas has some impurities in it. Hope this helps.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Also it's not good to run the tank at or near "empty" as it is then easier to pull in sediment and impurities that are near the bottom of the tank.

It's a good practice to keep the tank above the 1/4 indicator.

For owners of later model VW's (Golf's, Jetta's, etc.) remember do not overfill your tank as this will trip the check engine (MIL) light on many models.
'66 Type I