Hi from the Netherlands

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Fontanagrau

Hi from the Netherlands

Post by Fontanagrau »

Wow! A forum only for '66 beetles!
For more than 2 years we own an early '66 beetle with ID number: 116686220 and engine # F1141218 (original # was F0656729 but it has been replaced.)
We bought it with the original papers and found out it's original from Austria and are now the seventh owner of this Beetle.
The color is Fontanagrau, the interior is black and made from imitation leather.

For more info (in Dutch) and photos go to http://www.kever66.nl
Attachments
schuinvoor.jpg
schuinvoor.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 5885 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welcome Fontanagrau - great to have you as a member - that is a very beautiful 66 Beetle. I resized the picture so it would fit on the page without a scroll bar. So the color is Fontanagrau which means Fontana Gray (I think that is a safe guess). It looks like it just came off the show room floor - you must be very proud owners! Also very rare to have the orignal engine too! Congratulations and once again Welcome!
Fontanagrau

Post by Fontanagrau »

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)
You are right, Fontanagrau is German for fontanagray. It took us hours of brushing, polishing and waxing and we're proud of the result. Our beetle also have the round (instead of the square) push button in the door, which is only build one year (we heard of....) :shock:
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi Fontanagrau. Beautiful car you have there. In your part of the world do you often see the locking steering column on '66 VW's which has the markings for "Start", "Fahrt", and "Garage"?

Cheers!
'66 Type I
Fontanagrau

Post by Fontanagrau »

Yes, there is. I don't know if the beetles sold outside german or other german speaking coumtries has the same markings on the steering column. But my beetle has.
To complete the steer column markings are:
- halt
- garage
- fahrt
- start
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Ah! Yes, how could I forget the "Halt" setting ... you're right. My locking column unit has been wrapped in paper and placed in a box for safekeeping until the final reassembly of my car.

I am not looking forward to the re-installation of the new wiring harness and have kept the old harness, digital photographs, and wiring diagrams to assist. I plan for this to take weeks to accomplish.
'66 Type I
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Welcome Fontanagrau to the forum!

One of my 66s also have the round push button door handles. I was told that those with the round push buttons are the later build in the production year thus using the pre 67 handles. I've never did a "Birth certificate" to validate this but it makes sense to me. I also never compared the VIN numbers :oops: I guess I'll have to add that to my list of things to do...so I can use it on my wife in our lil game of trivia so she will be able to add it to her list of useless info. :D

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB