Brake drums Wide 5 vs 4 hole

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jpcurro51

Brake drums Wide 5 vs 4 hole

Post by jpcurro51 »

Will any 4 hole brake drums directly fit a '66? I have a chance to get a really nice set of 4 bolt wheels with great tires at a really reasonable price. Can I get direct fit 4 hole brake drums???????
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

No, they won't work with out new brake backing plates, drums, etc... I went through this when I was converting my bug back to original. The Previous Owner had converted the front to disk brakes and 4 lug rims. I had to purchase a lot of parts to get it back to stock so you will be going through the same process in reverse.
jpcurro51

Post by jpcurro51 »

I have found a 67 that has the 4 bolt wheels and brake drums on it. I guess I will just strip off the entire brake assemblies from the spindles on out, including the spindles and backing plates and see what matches.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

You can buy wide 5 to 4 VW wheel adapters thru WW or MA. Rather than losing the period hubs. Cheaper too!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
Dino

Post by Dino »

I just had mine converted back to drums in the front so I could run the stock chrome wheels with the Porsche hubcaps I love so much. :D PITA and it wasn't cheap. I didnt like the adapters because it makes your wheels stick out funny.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

jpcurro51,

If you are referring to the drum brake set-up for the front, then they should bolt right on, swapping everything from the spindle out...as for the rear? Theres a lil more work involved like jmartini says. I'm thinking, axle shafts, end castings (axle housings), drums and backing plates etc.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB