66 Body on a 68 Pan

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jpcurro51

66 Body on a 68 Pan

Post by jpcurro51 »

Will a 66 body, front end, transaxle, etc. fit directly on a 68 pan? The front seems to match, but I am not sure of the transaxle and the swing axles.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

YIKES - I know I can't answer that question. I would think it would work though. Hope someone else jumps in on this one.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi guys, If I'm not mistaken 1968 was the final year for the swingaxle transmission in the US? If your '68 pan is a true '68 pan then it should already be set up for a swingaxle transmission.
'66 Type I
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

You shouldnt have any trouble bolting them together. Ive seen and swapped all years together...the only difference that we've ran into is the seat tracks on the later years. We just welded in the earlier pan halves.

The hardest part is to change over the 5 lug drums for the earlier look.

The only body mods that we ran into was using a very early body on a not so early pan ('50s body to '60s or even an IRS pan) is the mount right above the rear shock where the body mounts to the pan, finding that the height on the mounts are different...not hard to modify at all.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB