Cough, Splutter, Stop!!!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Billysbug

Cough, Splutter, Stop!!!

Post by Billysbug »

Hi, I'm a new member. I just my first 1966 Beetle 1300L. I'm very much a novice. She is in pristine condition besides a couple of rust spots here and there. Over the past couple of days she has started to cut out when stopping at lights or a junction. Any advice would be apreciated, thanks. P.s love the site :P
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Billysbug - and welcome to the forum! That could be caused by so many things it's hard to know where to start. I would start by replacing the fuel filter myself - I had that same problem before and it was due to a dirty filter. If your filters ok, then move on to timing and carb and idle adjustments. I highly recommend John Muir's book on VW repair - (The Compleate Idiot Book), you can get it on Amazon and you will love it. Good luck with your issue - I'm sure others will join in to help. John
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Welcome, How long has it been sitting or was she a daily driver?If you have the original fuel pump,there will be a screen to check for debris also. The screen is located under the top cover of the pump held on by a single screw. Also check your points for pits,and corossion{sp] :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife