2nd car, but first i bought

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
motorheadkev

2nd car, but first i bought

Post by motorheadkev »

:) Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle –
White, 6 volt, no heater cables rotted away
The following was replaced (because they broke)
Throttle cable (that was tough)
Clutch cable (very easy)
The little clutch cable tube that attaches the trany to the body (I did not know about the little shims at either end of this tube so the bug did not shift very well after the parts were replaced, it was not until 16 months later (what a knucklehead) that someone (another bug owner) told me about those little shims or clips once I replaced them the bug shifted like new.
Brake line left front( another tough rusty mess)
Brake Master cylinder
The cylinder behind the oil cooler (number 3 or 2, cant remember) because it smoked itself, what a car it ran a little rough (on 3 cyl) until I got home about 40 miles later.
Replaced all the gaskets and seals on the engine as well as all four cylinders, oil cooler, rebuilt carb and all hoses.
Rebuilt starter
Since I did not have any heater cables on the engines,
And only the clutch and throttle cables, the engine could be removed within 20 minutes. I had to do this three time to fix mess ups or to replace parts.
Most of the above parts were replaced one at a time, except the cylinders they were replaced two at a time. (when your 19 you have a shortage of money, of course)
Most of the parts came from brazil and some from West Germany the German parts had much better quality, seems funny to see any part marked West Germany now.
How long have you owned it?
5 happy years (I’m not sure if it was because I owned the bug or because I was single HA HA)
What attracted you to this specific model year?
This car fell into my lap, and it was the first car I bought with my hard earned 100 bucks back in 1979.
what makes it unique?
6 volt battery, what a trip. Liked how the lights dimmed when you put the blinker on.
Little little tiny windshield wipers very cute.
Tinted side view mirror,
oh that wonderful interior smell.
A feeling of nirvana (bug owners know what I mean)
Ability to get trough 6 inches of snow without a problem (I could not believe it when I tried it)
The little engine that purrs
One single little fan belt
Very effective oil cooler
Chrome towel rack bumpers the best looking bumpers ever made.
Interesting how much better the engine runs after you adjust the valves. Which reminds me, The little snap springs holding down the valve covers, very very cool.
Straight 40 weight oil
Ability to use engine in a home built airplane.
25 Miles per gallon
Gas tank filler under the bonnet. Trunk
The fastest car in production (for the first 2 feet of travel) HaHa
Thank you, Thank you very much.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Motorheadkev: No one has summed it up quite like you! You have really been around the block in the repair area! Fortunately on my first '66 I wasn't facing as much to do in the repair area that you ran into - but you probably learned a lot more having gone through it - I'm sure you will be a real asset on the board!

I couldn't agree more with your summation of the things that really make the '66 model stand out. In particular the lights that get brighter the faster you drive (6 volt), the smell of the car, the old style bumpers, the gas tank under the bonnet (a real classic), they don't make cars like this anymore!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

WOW! That sound's like it was a lot of work - and a ton of money for a 19 year old! Your write up brought back a lot of memories!
Phil
San Antonio
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:) Ah yes the 20 minute drill, you get so damn good at dropping the motor,you can do it about as fast as it takes most people to change a tire.Ha! Welcome Motorhead.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife