Restoring Euro '66 Beetle

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
SeeBlauKafer

Restoring Euro '66 Beetle

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently restoring my European (German bought) Sea Blue (seeblau) '66 Beetle "The Blue Meanie". I purchased it from the original owner about 5 years ago. It shares the stable with my restored stock 1956 Oval and my daily driven 2001 New Beetle TDI. The '66 will also be restored to bone stock.

My '66 is special to me as I purchased it from the original owner who had terminal cancer and died a few weeks after selling me his car. He bought the car brand new in Waldorf, Germany while in the U.S.A.F. He loved the little '66 and when I expressed interest he agreed to sell it to me. The one condition was that I restore her to her former glory. I intend to keep my promise to him! I can't wait for the day I call his wife and tell her "it's ready" and take her for a spin.

I'll cover my resto in future posts but for now here are some items on my 'German' '66 Bug:
- Color is L360 Seeblau ('Sea Blue' in English)
- Interior is 'Platinum' (white)
- Has original perfectly operating lockable steering column with ('Start', 'Fahrt', 'Garage', 'Halt' markings)
- Swedish shoulder mount seat belts (but no lap belts! curious.)
- US Spec bumpers fitted prior to export to USA
- US Spec speedo fitted prior to export (wish I had the original)
- Original engine and tranny with matching numbers to chassis
- Original bill of sale and German literature from purchase
- All manuals and a giant file of every single repair receipt since the 1960's! This guy was spot on with maintenance.

Will post background and current progress on resto soon as I'm able.
Cheers!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welcome to the Forum SeeBlauKafer! Sounds like you have a great find there in you 66! Coincidentally my daily driver is a 2005 New Beetle Convertible - a great car for sure. Really looking forward to seeing pictures of your 66 and the restoration!