I have found happiness!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
markostephano

I have found happiness!

Post by markostephano »

Hey JMartini,

Just want to thank you and "fourcylinder" again for pointing me in the the right direction! I found my project on TheSamba.com. Bought her this last Wednesday down in Rockford, Il, and trailered her home Thursday. She's a 1965 1200 bug with a yet-to-be implanted 1300 powerplant. She's a little rough, ok maybe I am a visionary, she is going to need the floor pan transplant for sure as well as heater duct replacement. We are talking Flintstones. But outwardly she is straight with only a little minor "dentage" to her rear fenders. All the trim, glass, and window rubber seems fine. Both chrome bumpers w/ over-riders/tube are straight and the chrome is pretty nice still. One issue is this though: it has a factory-optional, steering column mounted, locking ignition switch...and no key. Any thoughts?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

WOW - Congratulations!!! I hope you have taken some pictures - then you can post them in the photo gallery! I can't wait to see them! I have a friend at work who has just completed the floorpans and heater channels on his 72 super beetle - and it looks fantastic. Needless to say he has learned to weld along the way :)

As far as the steering lock goes - the wheel is not locked in place right now...right? So if that is true at least you are able to operate it. The next thing I would do is contact a locksmith and ask what you need to do to make it operational - for example, if you take it in to a locksmith can they re-key it? ALSO...There is a really nice guy that does all this kind of stuff for vws, and he advertizes on the samba web site. Here is his info:

http://www.gabrielsvwgarage.com/

I have talked to him and he is a great guy and his proces are reasonable -he can point you in the right dirrection for sure.
So let me know what you are planning on doing - are you going to make it stock - original color or interior or are you customizing it? Don't leave us hangin!!! Looking forward to hearing all the details!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hey John - we must have been posting at the same time!

Congratulations Marko! That is great news. I'm with John on this one - the more pictures the better! I'm in the middle of a resto too - but not nearly as involved as yours (I'm hoping! lol). I'm sure your just itching to get started on it (or maybe you have already begun), either way hope you will be back often to give us a report on the progress. I haven't done the photo gallery yet but am planning to very soon!

Bring on the pictures! CONGRATS AGAIN!
Phil
San Antonio
markostephano

Post by markostephano »

Thanks Guys!

John, it so happens I did contact Gabriel, just before I left you guys that last newsflash, havn't heard back from him as yet though. And yes, the steering lock is either unlocked or I guess it could be broken? I will have to check to see which "word" the key slot lines up with. As for pictures, give me a little time, we do have a digital camera, but to be honest- I don't know a thing about getting those pixel things onto your message board/website. My son, who attends UW@Madison comes to visit us every other couple weeks. He is a computer genius, so I will consult with him.
I had almost lined up a pair of replacement floor pans that a fellow was offering on TheSamba.com. They were Brazilian and 150.00 for the pair, but since he lives in El Paso, (The Far Side), Texas- the shipping alone was going to be 100.00. That was not going to work for my budget. :cry: I think I might end up driving my Dodge Caravan down to JC Whitney in La Salle, Il and save whatever shipping THAT would entail. I believe they sell the same Brazilian sheet metal pieces at varying prices as do most other sources? I have been cruising the net, comparing, and the pans and heater ducts look the same, but the prices are all over the spectrum. But it is the shipping, in the end that wipes out the potential savings! Anyway I am rambling so I'll rest my finger.
Marko
Brodhead
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hey Marco!!! If your son is a computer genius I should rent him :) , I'm still trying to figure out how to attach the pictures to posts. There is a Mod for it but I can't figure it out! Oh well...maybe I'll play with it later. In the meantime you can always use the link to the photogallery here in the forum and then register and upload photos!

I know the shpping on this stuff is a killer! You might want to try ebay just for the fun of it - they sometimes have people selling it and then you can get it cheap enough that it offsets the shipping costs.

I'm really not a floorpan expert so I don't think I can speak to Brazil vs. Mexico etc.. I usually get my stuff from one of two places (if not NOS on ebay), Wolfsburgwest.com, or BFYObsoleteparts.com. These two places have the best reputations in my mind. BFY really came through for me last fall when I repainted my bug - they actually had some old Sea Blue Fender Beading - Man was I shocked and thrilled!

Good luck with the Floor Pan Search! Let me know how things are going - I know Fourcylinder is interested too!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hi Marco - Glad to hear that you are making progress on the '65. I hope we get a look at it pretty soon! I'm a little challenged myself when it comes to uploading photos! Can't wait to see it. I'm sure you will want to take a lot of pictures as you restore it - then you will have a scrap book to display when you start pulling first place trophies at the shows when you have it complete! :mrgreen:
Phil
San Antonio
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hey Phil - I saw some of Marco's pictures yesterday - very sweet looking beetle. With any luck we will get him to post some in the gallery!
markostephano

Paints used by VW (in der alten taggen)

Post by markostephano »

Hey Guys, and Gal,

I have been searching all over this forum for the post left by someone wanting to know the composition of the paint coatings applied by Wolfsburg.

Was I just imagining this? I was on here breifly a few nights ago, saw the discourse between you and Jan, WELCOME JAN!- and then I thought I read another guy's post asking you about paint- but I can't find it again so I'll hopefully provide some light on the subject here.

John, as I said once before, when I lived in San Diego, I owned a '58 Kombi, and as part of the pile of stuff I accumulated at that time was a rare and often sought after prize which I acquired from another VW Bro(he was a former VW dealership parts dept. manager). Seems one day during the late '70s, he was told by the higher-ups to purge his department of any reference material regarding aircooled dubs. He smartly obeyed, and threw all the illustrated parts books...into the back of his Rabbit! Now he was into Ghias, and so he kept the Big Book of Type 1 . In retrospect, I say Dang!. But since I was his friend who only cared at that time for Busses, he gave me the Type 2 Bible!

Its in my lap right now. Now when I cautiously flip its worn and brittle pages, back to the Paint Section, I see that VW used both "Lacquers(Nitrocellulose)"denoted-L ; and "Lacquer,synthetic resin, air drying (enamel)"denoted-LKL. It appears that all their colors were available in both systems. There are pages headed "Lacquers"-wherein a parts dept guy could order any color by the kg ! Next page "Mixing Enamel,Paint Touch-Up Applicators" and so on. I don't have a scanner, but if someone wants copies there are 27 pages of small print ( both sides), explaining in typical German efficiency, not only every color, month/year it was used, on any and all vehicles (types1 thru 4), BUT every other liquid, fluid, solvent, sealant, and paste applied in,on,under, etc. Let me know.

Son Jon should be coming home next weekend, I hope we,(he), can transfer photos of my bug into your gallery.

Marko
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Marko- Thanks for the information and no you were not imagining that you read the paint questions here - The topic is "1966 Paint" and the author is Buggie. I just moved the topic to the Technical Forum incase any other users go there looking for information on paint. It would be great if you could copy your response over to that forum as well! I tried to see if I could copy your post over but couldn't figure it out (Not enough Coffee yet this morning)!, however I did add a link back to your response.

Man you are lucky to have that book! I'd love to have something like that on the type 1! Who would have thought that so many pages were dedicated to just describing the paint finish. Wow! Hang on to that book - it must be worth a small fortune now!
motorheadkev

wow

Post by motorheadkev »

boy this site is very helpful
very nice to see answers coming across so fast

kudos to you all