1966 Paint type.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

buggie

1966 Paint type.

Post by buggie »

Hi, I'm new to the site and would like to say hello. I am the second owner of a 1966 bug and I am in the restoration stage. My first ? is does anyone know what type of paint the Germans used? My second ? is where is a good source of parts suppliers.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Thanks for joining Buggie! I hope you enjoy the site! I have moved this topic to the technical area in case anyone else has a question regarding paint codes.

I have a color chart on the home page (look for the button that say's 1966 Color Chart). Here's a link:
http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/1966colorcharts.htm
Paint is available at a number of VW parts houses but all the modern paint is much better than the old stuff! :)

I like to buy my stuff from either Wolfsburgwest.com or BFYobsoleteparts.com

I have bought stuff from folks on ebay if I know its authentic German - and it has worked out well. Good luck with your project - I'd love to see some pictures!
Last edited by jmartini on Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hi Buggie, and Welcome! John is right about the original paint....the quality is so much better now. The paint codes on VWs are also known as L-Codes and many paint companies do a really good job at replicating the paint.

I highly recommend Wolfsburg West for VW parts but I have also purchased from BFY obsolete parts, and CIP1. I think I would buy from them in that order (Wolfsburg first).

Good luck with your restoration - hope you keep in touch with us here and that we get to see some pictures! Phil
Phil
San Antonio
buggie

Post by buggie »

Thanks for the info. I just placed an order with Wolfburgwest for a new clutch and plate. Did anyone hear of a machine shop in CA. called Remco?
I'm about to ship the engine there to have work done. They have a web site www.rimcovw.com and do all type of VW machining. Check them out.
As far as the paint, I was curious if it was lacquer or enamel that all. I'm a far way off of thinking on what to paint with. This spring the body is coming off, so I have plenty to do before paint.

Thanks,
Danny
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Danny: Sorry I have never heard of Remco before, but I live in Wisconsin :)

As long as you have references or you have looked them up in the better business bureau and their record looks good I'm sure you will be fine.

Sorry I wish I could answer the paint question but I can't find anything on it. I even looked through my library of books but can't find it mentioned. I believe it was lacquer but I'm not sure - sorry.

Sounds like you are well on your way with the restoration - take plenty of pictures - I know you will enjoy them later when the project is complete!
buggie

Post by buggie »

Thanks for looking for me on the paint issue. I could not find the type of paint either. I spoke with Rimco and he really sound like he knows what he's talking about. An outfit that sells cases recommended me to them.
They couldn't help me out with a new case but, since I'm trying to restore, they said Rimco has the ability to bring life back to my old case and that a good thing! Crating it up this weekend and sending it out.

Having Fun,
Danny
:P
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Danny: Sounds like they are a good outfit - let me know how they do - if you are happy with them feel free to give them a plug in the forum under Recommended Repair Shops!

I'll keep checking into the paint - you have me curious now! Have a great day!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Danny: Markostephano did some research and found some information on the paint used on beetles. He will probably copy his informatin over here but in the meantime here is a link to the thread where he provided the information:

http://1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=75#75
Hope things are going well! John
markostephano

Post by markostephano »

Hey Buggie!

I wanted to pass along some info on paint to you, but I am less than computer agile. I was telling John about the VW dealership parts dept. manual I have that covers primarily Type 2. In the section covering paint, it specifies that VW used both:
"Lacquers (Nitrocellulose)" denoted - L
and
"Lacquer, synthetic resin, air drying (enamel)" denoted - LKL

It appears that all their colors were available in both system. In this very thick manual, there are pages headed "Laquers" wherein a parts dept. guy could order up any color in bulk by the kilogram! I assume it was to be provided to whoever was repaintng the customer's vehicle. Next page- "Mixing Enamel, Paint Touch-Up Applicators" and so forth. As I told JMartini, I don"t have a scanner, but if you want copies, there are 27 or so pages of small print (both sides), explaining in tedious German detail, not only every color they had produced up to this point*,but the month/year it was intro'd or phased out. All this covers all Types 1-4.

Hope this is of some use to you, and enjoy! -MarkoStephano
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Great info Marko!
Phil
San Antonio
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi all: Here is a link that Scruffy sent me for a place that has quality paint for the 66 model year VW's:

http://autocolorlibrary.com/acl_files/volkswagen.html

Thanks for the link Scruffy!