Hello from South Australia

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
AdelaideBug

Hello from South Australia

Post by AdelaideBug »

Just went behind the wifes back and bought a 66 Beetle.

I know nothing about cars but wanted it so bad. Will be coming here for lots of advice if people don't mind.

Seems in good condition. The engine runs fine and there is only a little rust.

First question. How do I deal with the rust in the tyre well (I know I shouldn't buy cars with rust there but I fell in love).

Oh and to all the Aussies out there. I have the unusual number thing as well it must just be our cars.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welcome AdelaideBug! Glad to have you as a member!!! I would try to get down to the bare metal in the wheel well and then spray some rust proofing there to make sure it doesn't come back! Nice to have a representative from down under! When you get a chance let's see a picture of your beauty!
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Stupidly didn't keep pics of internet advert for interior but here are some exterior shots.

I am very nervous about this car as I have never done anything like this.
Attachments
BugSmall.jpg
BugSmall.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 6115 times
BugSamllFull.jpg
BugSamllFull.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 6115 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Your car looks like it is in good condition from the exterior shots. I think you may be worried for no reason :D Try not to worry and just enjoy the whole process of fixing it up and driving it, I'm sure it will turn out great!
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Sorry to ask tech questions here but it seems pointless to start a new thread.

The rust (and it is pretty bad 2 HUGE HOLES TO THE GROUND)) is under the spare tyre. Any hints or tips in how to sort it? I am thinking of cutting it out and replacing with a metal plate?

Will this work or is this bludgeoning the problem?

Another quicky. Trying to close the bonnet but it wont lock down. Does that notch thing need lining up??
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

There are replacement panels for the spare tire area so I would buy one of those. There are panels for just the bottom or the entire well area. As far as the trunk it sounds like the trunk is not latching so you will need to make sure they are engaging, but before you make any adjustments make sure that when you pull on the release (from inside the car), that the release mechanism inside the trunk actually moves so that the trunk can be opened once it shuts tight - otherwise you will have a nasty bit of work ahead of you if you get it closed. Good luck!
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Thanks John. The handle thingy works fine it is just not catching.
Thanks for the panel advice.
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Looks pretty sweet to me! Congratulations - I think www.Wolfsburgwest.com has all the panels you might need to fix your front trunk area. Good luck with the work and thanks for sharing the pictures!
Phil
San Antonio
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Aye the problem is delivery charges so going to look for a local yokel.

Thanks for the tip though.