New Member in Montgomery Alabama

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Wayne Stambaugh

New Member in Montgomery Alabama

Post by Wayne Stambaugh »

Hello bug lovers. I just purchased a 1966 Bahama Blue Beetle. Previously I have owned a 1967 beetle and a 1973 beetle but that's been years ago. This 1966 model brings with it a lot of questions. After looking at the color charts on the 1966 Website I'm a bit confused. My beetle is original with 90,000 miles. It still has the original upolstery, paint, door panels and rubber floor mats. The door panels are the Bahama Blue color or maybe even a little darker. The seats are capped in blue vinyl the same color as the door panels. The color chart shows any leatherette items to be black. The fabric on the seats has a 1-1/2" wide strip of fabric going across it where the vinyl cap stops then another pattern that covers most of the area you actually sit on. Is this typical?

The electrical sys. has been up dated to a 12 volt and it has the wrong engine in it. It has duel port heads but I have no idea about the displacement. I plan to go back to the 1300 engine and a 6 volt sys. unless someone tells me differently. Any comments?

Of course the floor pan is rusted out under the battery and I'll have to put a replacement pan it there but the rest of the floor looks good. Who makes the best replacement panels?

Thanks for your help and interest.

Wayne Stambaugh :lol:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Wayne and congratulations on your purchase - she sounds great!!! I'm not sure what options were available from an upholstery standpoint in 1966, but the charts were all that I could find for the model year, so maybe some one else on the forum will have some perspective for you.

I have a 6 volt system in my car along with the original engine. You could go back to a 1300 engine and 6 volts but just be prepared for the differences. The differences with the 6 volt will be apparent, in particular at night, it is much harder to see the road with a six volt system. The faster you go the brighter the lights. The 1300 engine will probably have less pickup than the one you have now. It just depends on how "stock" you want the car to look and feel. I had a 1600 dual port engine in my last 66 - big difference in power but I enjoy the original feel.

I would check out Wolfsburgwest.com for replacement panels.

Good luck on the work and welcome to the Forum!

PS> Let's see some pictures! :)
seabluebug

Post by seabluebug »

Hi Wayne - Welcome!!!! Good luck with the work you have planned and lets see some pictures along the way! Congrats on the purchase!
1966 - Nothing beats the vintage look!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hi Wayne!! Welcome to the forum - hope to see some pictures of your ride! Regards!

PS - Wolfsburgwest for the panels!
Phil
San Antonio