VIN number mystery

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

hardlifebug

VIN number mystery

Post by hardlifebug »

HI guys newbie from the Gold Coast, Queensland,OZ.
I just acquired my first Beetle which I thought at first sight was a '66 since it has a "1300" emblem on the back. On further examination (thanks to this excellent site), I've got a mystery as no numbers match those published.
Number on trans tunnel under rear seat:197 591 833
Number in front of brake fluid container: 114 77413
I guess it has been made up from two car wrecks, done very well.
It has unslotted wheels, kingpost front suspension and no vent in front dash,no chrome trim in windscreen surround, pushbutton door handles, front indicators are round and mounted beside headlights, not teardrop on top.
So at least I know the front ain't a 66 :( and the rear???
The engine number is 0190146 then what looks like a 2 which has been stamped over with diagonal lines to cross it out but not eradicated as someone would do if trying to change engine numbers.
All VIN and engine numbers are very clear on original surfaces i.e. not ground off.
What the heck have I got? can anyone help?
Thanks,Stephen
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Hardlifebug! It does sound like a combination, but I will have to check my books when I get back home to know for sure. So many of the parts were interchangeable that just relying on a rear engine badge can be misleading. The first 66 I owned had a much newer engine lid. I'll check out the VIN number when I get home.
hardlifebug

Post by hardlifebug »

Thanks John,
I've briefly looked at the New Members introduction section and seen a guy in Sydney (name Zorba) who has a VIN starting with 196 which was used in RH drive (Australian ) cars so it looks like I'm at least 50% legit for a 66 beetle hooray!
It also seems that 114 was used. So maybe I've got a totally 66 car ,hybrid,but the front from an earlier model was used.I haven't thoroughly followed the whole post yet (lack of time) but I'm stoked. I need to keep looking thru his post to track down the whole story. Funny things happen on the other side of the world from you guys! 'cos we're upside down in the Antipodes blood rushes to the head. I'll try to get some pics posted but the car is in bits- I need to weld in new heater channel and floor pan.
Regards,
Stephen
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Mine starts with 196 as well. Guess it must be because we are upside down.