New 1966 Bahama Blue owner...have questions

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cheryl G

New 1966 Bahama Blue owner...have questions

Post by Cheryl G »

Okay, female here !!

Hubby filled up the break fluid container and the brake fluid promptly drained out on the garage floor. Brakes work just fine.

Question: Should we go ahead and put it in the shop or should we order the best maintenance book and attempt to repair the situation ourselves (myself).

The car is in wonderful shape. I replaced all the fuses and now the emergency flashers, radio and the dome light works. The head light lenses have to be replaced (both have holes in the glass) and the little light bulbs are burnt out (I assume because they got wet!). The heater is not hooked up but the hoses are in the trunk.

We bought the car last Thursday for what I consider a good price... $4,000.00 Hope I wasn't taken LOL. I have already had a man knock on our door and ask if it was for sale...but he only offered $3,000.00 for it.

The left turn signal doesn't turn itself off.

Other than that I can't think of anything that needs correcting. We probably will tackle the rubber gasket replacements in the summer...might.

I had the oil changed in it last Saturday. The odometer had 36,000 on it when I bought it ... I have no idea what the number is in front of it !

The antique was $28.50 and I won't have to buy another on ... ever.

Insurance is liability and uninsured motorist ... $25.00 a month !!!

Comments welcomed please.

Cheryl
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Cheryl: Welcome to the Forum - great to have you as a member!!!

Personally I'd take the bug to the shop for the brake work, but that's me. You could get the "Compleat Idiot Book" by John Muir and fix it yourself for sure, but old bleeder bolts can shear off and cost a lot to repair if you don't have the right equipment. Plus if you take it to a shop that specializes in beetles you can get your valves adjusted and a tune up (Please make sure you or a mechanic do your valve adjustments every 3000 miles - it is easy and covered in the book mentioned above - and it will save your engine from a major failure).

Not sure what to make of the turn signal issue - could be the dreaded blue box in the trunk - or a bad turn signal arm - my guess is that it is the turn signal arm. If it turns out to be the blue box you can go a couple of differnent ways if it's still 6 volt 1) Look on ebay for a blue box, they come up every once and a while or 2) There is an after market replacement for the blue box - I had it on my last bug - it works good, but I prefer the blue box plus I think it's around $120.00 but of course it's new, not 41 years old.

Let us know how the repairs go and attach some photos of your new baby to a post (or in the gallery). JOhn
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

i would love to see a picture..of your new car...the blue box is bad
for sure....volksbugusa
empiracer1966

"The left turn signal doesn't turn itself off."

Post by empiracer1966 »

Welcome to the forum Cheryl G!

Cool! I have friends that live in Vicksburg Ms!

Now...about your Turn sniggle's...you said, "The left turn signal doesn't turn itself off." I'm assuming they blink, but they do not cancel (turn off) when the steering wheel returns back to the center position. Thats not good especially with the cost of "Blinker fluid" these days! :lol: JK! If that is the case, then the your problem might be in the turn signal switch housing.

All you have to do is remove your steering wheel and repair or replace the switch. I have been able to, so far(...knock on wood) been able to remove and repair the switch. What I've been finding is the canceling levers that pertrude into the steering column, have become bent (from the switch housing coming loose from the column or from just time and or abuse) and usually in severe need of lubrication. I'd stay away from the aftermarket switches that are available for the quality just isn't there. Unless it is N.O.S. In fact, the last two originals that I got from fellow dubbers for less then a song, I completely restored for my personal collection only to have them buy them back, :lol: after just a few months for alot more then the "song" plus a dance! :lol: :lol:

I hope this might be of some use in your case...Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB