Rear seat belts?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cheryl G

Rear seat belts?

Post by Cheryl G »

I need to install seat belts in the rear seat.

We have small children (and grandchildren), 2 in car seats.

What do we need to know before getting out the drill to install the seat belts...soon to be ordered. ???

Cheryl
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Cheryl

you should not just drill a hole on the rear deck plate. you need to weld
in the proper nut to accept the standard vw sealbelt bolt...you need to
have some one take a picture for you on the exact locations...I would but mine is a 66 also...go to samba .com and post your inquiry!!!

any other way is not safe for your children

volksbugusa
matt
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

If I remember right - 66 was the first year seat belts were an option but I believe for the front seats only (my first 66 had no belts at all). You may end up having to have a support plate welded to the rear floor in addition. I only have belts in the front so I won't be much help to you but perhaps one of the other 66 owners on this site has rear belts.

Here's a link to a discussion on installation (Sounds like Wolfsburgwest sends installation instructions with theirs).
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.auto ... ab0a827ddd

and here's a discussion from the samba which relates to a '64 but should apply:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... stallation
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

66 came with the rear seat belt option.If you flip the rear seat forward you'll see to philip headed bolts on each side of the tunnel,thats one the seat hinge bolt is 2 and the plastic plug on each side of the rearquarter windows is for the 3point seatbelt. hope this helps,and welcome :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife