Blaupunkt

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scruffy

Blaupunkt

Post by scruffy »

I have a Blaupunkt 12v only radio i would like to install in my 66 barn find without changing my 6 volt system,why? don't know if it,s not broke why fix it. They use to sell a 6 TO 12 INVERTER FOR THIS PURPOSE,whoops wrong key, from radio shack,where can I find one or are there other alternatives? thanks :?
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Scruffy! Would something like this work?

http://www.powerstream.com/dc6-12.htm
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:!: ouch,Where can we sell the other 499. I see jcwhitney has one for 70 bucks and I thought that was a little crazy.But one doesn't know unless you've been on top of these things how high these prices have gone.Looking at the 66 price list,I paid that much just for the barn find :cry:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I know! $$$$$$$ expensive - but if JCW has one for 70.00 then maybe thats a deal. Good luck! Now I suppose if you wanted to you could alwasy just by a six volt car battery and hook up a 6 volt battery tender to always keep it charged - but you'd probably spend just as much and it would look a little unsightly!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:wink: I think I might have another one of these radios in my parts,I wonder if I have a 6volt! I am not without a radio,I have the factory Sapphire III AM only which kinda sucks in this day and age. I should hook up the Blau on the bench just to see what she sounds like. who knows I might have to stick my boat battery in the trunk! :lol:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

The Sapphire III is a great radio - just lacking the FM - so if you like talk radio - you've got it made! I had mine rebuilt a while back and it sounds great now, but your right, in this day and age it can be a bit limiting! Good luck Scruffy!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:D Hey John are we the only ones playing on these damn things instead of out playing with our toys in the sunshine? Driving around with the windows open,Radio blaring trying to pick up hot chicks{nah}. Maybe after I move 2 feet of snow in front of the garage and the temperature rises a couple degrees :?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

HAHAHAHA - You are right! I was tempted to put the top down on my New Beetle Convertible today but then I thought "might be too warm for that"!
Good luck moving the snow. My furnace started acting up last night and I ended up having to call a repairman at about 8:00 PM - he just cleaned a sensor and I was up and running again. Service call - $100.00 Warm House - Priceless!