hood latch

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

grouchyandugly

hood latch

Post by grouchyandugly »

i bought my 66 back in Apr. hood latch was bad. so. ordered a new set, upper and lower. took me some 2 freaking HOURS today to get it in..... but it is still not satisfactory, as it looks like it is about some 1 to 2 inches TOO HIGH at the front. i "relearned" some dirtywords!!! i know (or think i know) that the upper part is "adjustable"....but how does one decide what to do??? do i "screw" that upper IN to make it "shorter"?? or what? stay safe. thanks
:?:
Seibert66

Re: hood latch

Post by Seibert66 »

Adjusting that latch is tedious work but it's difficult to provide advice on line...when you are working on it...make sure to keep your inspection holes open in case the hood gets stuck, and the spare tire out...that way you'll have an emergency access in case that happens. When you say it's "not satisfactory"...what are you referring to? Do you have problems when you are pulling the release knob? Keep in mind that the hood rubber seal plays a role as well...make sure the rubber seal around the hood is not brittle or missing...