New to the group!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
KevinF

New to the group!

Post by KevinF »

Hello all,
I just wanted to say hello, and that I'm excited to finally be starting the process to restore my 1966 Bahama Blue convertible! I bought the car in 1970, and I'm the 2nd owner.
It's been in my garage since I about 1980. I parked it knowing it has some issues, the top's front wood bow is shot, floor pans are too, a little bit of rust on the body, but not awful. It ran and drove fine when I parked it. Hopefully, it will be as easy to start as the one in the movie Sleeper!
My then teen-aged son had a friend who has grown to love and is now restoring beetles, came to have a look, found some issues and will soon get back to me about where to start etc. He's a great guy, I knew him really well back then, and he knows my car from those days too, so he's excited.
It looks like this will result in a body-off restoration of the frame and floor pans, heater channels etc. Its interior will likely be replaced, the black vinyl seating material seems fine but the thread holding it together has started to go.
I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it all original, but I'm mostly looking for a fun car to be safe and take the grandkids out for ice cream!
Hopefully I'll be able to share some pics during the process!
I'm excited to be a new member here, and I'm looking forward to lots of stories and pics!
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season!
h~moto

Re: New to the group!

Post by h~moto »

Welcome and good luck on your `66 convertible.
jmartini
Administrator

Re: New to the group!

Post by jmartini »

Welcome to the Forum - Great background on your beetle, there's probably not many folks that have had a 66 since 1970! Good luck with the work, I'm sure it will be an adventure.